Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code 81 Wtf

S

spannerman

Hi Guys, Well my 1994 VRV6 has 194000 kms , been running sweet , till today, changed the thermostat , was running warmer than normal {still is} but later on today got check engine light up staying on , oil, coolant and auto oil levels are all ok , engine temp was okay , but now only has 2nd and 3rd in Auto { gone into limp-home mode I thinks} Well checked the codes and I have 12 , 16 {Coolant temp unstable voltage} and 81{WTF} is this a auto trans fault code or is the ECM screwing up ...Any help appreciated please....Thanks Spannerman

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Heya Spannerman and Welcome

Code 81 is a problem with 2nd - 3rd shift solenoid "B".

I take it this means the 2nd solenoid on the trans is buggered but don't take my word for it.

You could try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds to a minute to reset the computer then try to start her up and see what happens, it could be a false alarm but if it comes up then it's time to get it replaced or check out the wiring.

A great source of information for computer problems and codes is Commodore Codes

Hope this helps you out a little more.

I have also updated my information to reflect these codes.

Cheers
Darren

S

spannerman

Hi Darren, Thanks for your reply, I will have access to a VR service mannual on Monday , I have reset the ECM a few times , ah well might be off to the Auto Trans Shop on monday...Hopefully its just a pan off bolt on item....I run twin Auto oil coolers and sevice the Trans every 30000km so I hope its ok....Anyway Congrats on a great website, looks awesome, Cheers Spannerman.......