Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code 92 - Low Speed Radiator fan response signal

damiandownie

Damo (Vl Walky replica)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 commy
Hey guys i have just recently gone through the same problem with my vt s pac supercharged not shuagh if its the same as vs but one way to check if the wiring is all ok is that you unplug the connector to the thermo fan sensor and turn the ignition on the low speed fan should kick in after 6 sec anf then high speed should kick in after 12 sec if that happen wiring and realys are fine ,my problem was that once the sensor turn the fans on they wouldnt switch them off so i replaced the sensor which is usually around $113.00 from holden they are the cheapest around burson $134.00 but i paid $64 for my sensor bcause they said it christmas wel thanks holden and that fix my problem and fans are turning on and off now so hope this helps .

Sorry to dig up an old post but where abouts is the thermo fan sensor wiring? i have already replaced the relay with 3 brand new ones from 3 different places and i still have code 92

regards damian downie

Snaketails

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais
Sorry for bumping this thread, spent a day looking for a wiring diagram that show's the Thermo fan wiring, then this thread popped up on page 8 of google.

Posters have said that this is a common problem with the relay's, if the PDF is correct, then a little problem can burn out the relay's, its really not a safe way to configure the wiring, really bad actually.

Ok, here is what I have found..

If the bottom relay turns on, it will short O/P (+12V) to GND

If the bottom Relay is left off and the Top Relay is turned on, it will short O/P -> O/BLU which in turn will be shorted to GND thru the lower relay's NC terminal

This is assuming that the relay drawings are following the standard for relay diagrams

But also, BLU/Y is connected to the coil of the bottom Relay? I think there is actually a error in this drawing..

Bommadorelife

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX wagon
We are having this issue also....

Replaced the relays and still no help??

Any advice? We are so confused as we also replaced the ABS Pump and Module and still no progress.

J

JohnW

We are having this issue also....

Replaced the relays and still no help??

Any advice? We are so confused as we also replaced the ABS Pump and Module and still no progress.

A very old thread, but as I've finally found the elusive reason for my constant Code 92 error thought I should post it up for the record. After doing the usual of changing the relay, new temperature sensor without effect, decided to work through all the fan wiring, bingo!

Didn't take long to find the problem actually. To the left of the power steering pump reservoir is a black box containing the fan fuses. The two looms that come from the bottom of the fuse box go to connectors just below and to the left (looking at it from front on) of the power steering pump reservoir. The wiring on the fan side of these connectors is positioned such that they cop the full blast from the radiator heat (bad bit of design). Due to this heat exposure the insulation on 2 of the 4 wires had completely disintegrated leaving just bare exposed copper.

Pulled the loom apart, taped everything up nicely, new outer tubing, problem solved.

J

JohnW

Just to add a bit more gained knowledge for the record ........

In trying to find the source of my 92 slow speed fan error code I was originally unsure how to test the system. It was even unclear to me if the slow speed fan was just 1 or 2 fans (its 2), and I was very reluctant to go jumping various connectors and relay pints together to find out. The wiring is near impossibly to follow. So here's how to simply test the whole system.

With the engine cold, remove the lid from the engine fuse and relay housing on the left hand side (looking into the engine bay). Identify both the high speed and low speed fan relays, indicated on the underside of the housing cover.

Disconnect the coolant temperature sensor (under the thermostat housing) and tuck it out of the way of the engine belt.

Start the engine and quickly jump around and grab both the low speed and high speed relays between your index finger and thumb (one in each hand obviously).

At first the fans will not be activated, within a few seconds your should feel the click as the slow speed relay activates and both fans spin up. A few seconds more and you should feel the high speed relay do exactly the same, and at the same time the speed of both fans increase.

I was surprised that the increase in speed was way less than I was expecting. Without touching the relays to have both the feel and sound of the high speed relay taking over I probably wouldn't have been able to tell if it was the slow or high speed side working.

Running the engine with the coolant temperature sensor disconnected will generate its own error code, which must be cleared (just disconnect the battery if you have the radio security code).