Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coil Pack burnt wiring harness

shellh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I have a 95 vs, it stopped running no spark so went to change the coil pack and dfi to find the wiring harness had burnt out need help on what would cause this and a quick fix plz

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Heat. Short circuit possibly.

I'd inspect the wiring harness further and cut and splice new wires in.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Has the DFI been removed and replaced ? and all the (thermal paste ) heatsink grease been removed and the DFI reinstalled dry.It has to have the grease there to dissipitate the heat or draw the heat away from the unit

Cpt Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 S II HBD VY SS , 04 VY S II Executive
Burnt wires will be from a short or high resistance(dirty) Connections. Also what CONROD said, there needs to be thermal grease between the DFI module and it's mount otherwise the dfi can't dissipate heat well at all. You can get the paste from jaycar or other electronics shops just ask for thermal grease or beryllium oxide paste and when you apply it to you surfaces make sure you have nice clean surfaces for best thermal conduction, also it's kinda poisonous so don't lick your fingers

shellh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I have replaced the whole coil pack and dfi, undid the one that burnt out and the coils where fine just where the wire mount goes in is burnt about to replace the harness also did the crank angle sensor for just in case, but will go and get some of the thermal grease and do that as well