Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Air Intake For 3.8L VX

the_ozz_man

Ozzy Ozzy Ozzy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe Series II
Hay Guys,

I have a 3.8L VX with a Sports Exhaust (2.5inch from the cat back) and a K&N Air Filter (Not Pod Filter sits in the factory box)

Do you reckon a Cold Air Intake Kit would be worth it any idea of power gains/petrol saving (or using more)

Apart From the Cold Air Intake what would be the Best Bang for my Buck mod I could do?

Cheers,

BTW Just Discovered this Forum the other day I no longer do any work:thumbsup:

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
if you want bang for your buck go bigger throttle body.. there heaps fun

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Hay Guys,

I have a 3.8L VX with a Sports Exhaust (2.5inch from the cat back) and a K&N Air Filter (Not Pod Filter sits in the factory box)

Do you reckon a Cold Air Intake Kit would be worth it any idea of power gains/petrol saving (or using more)

Apart From the Cold Air Intake what would be the Best Bang for my Buck mod I could do?

Cheers,

Hi mate and welcome, just to let you know there are a ton of threads on CAI's already, so you best to do a search for CAI or Cold air intake and you will find all your answers. Have a good one.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hay Guys,

Cheers,

Best bang for buck is higher ratio rockers... 1.95 YT ones will liven up the show.

CAI would complement the rockers... plus a CAI will give you better fuel economy and throttle response.

A bigger TB as Freak suggested would be the thing to get once you have all the other mods... it would give even more aggresive throttle response and flow better complimenting the extra air the higher ration lifters use.

Hope that helps

the_ozz_man

Ozzy Ozzy Ozzy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe Series II
Rockers Hay Had a Look and they sound pretty good

One Question they say that are easy to install is this the casE?

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
ive heard that too but at the same time i personally would not do it myself

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
^^^ Took me about and hour to change mine and torque them correctly... included burning my fingers every 3seconds as i had just driven home from YT and was over excited to put them in...

Then a quick computer reset and your off...

Only special tool needed is a torque wrench...

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
CAI would complement the rockers... plus a CAI will give you better fuel economy and throttle response.

not so sure about better fuel economy? if the oxygen sensors are working, then the mixture should still be right no matter what the temp of the incoming air.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
yeh cai def noticeable with rockers...ive got the yt cai on mine which yeh gives a bit better throttle response and a wikid whistling induction noise haha and yeh prolly the cheapest of the cai's available but a fairly basic setup...involving a piece of 4" dia pipe and a bracket haha see below ;)

however bang for your buck cant go past yt's 1.95 roller rockers and the ease in which they go in :p
cheers
ryan

DSC00204.jpg

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
not so sure about better fuel economy? if the oxygen sensors are working, then the mixture should still be right no matter what the temp of the incoming air.

It's not to much the temp of the air, just the fact its more easily accessible for the engine...

The factory ecotec has 2 major flaws...

1. Intake

2. Exhaust

Its alot happier and more economical when's breathing easier... more air... fuel burns more efficiently... everyone is happy...

I noticed about a 30km per tank increase once i got the CAI and a K&N filter....

Then i put a 3.73 diff in which ate that improvement up quick smart but thats not the point...lol