Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cold start problem on VS V6

pomiedore vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim series 11 v6
Ok guys

Further to the problem.
This morning tried cranking with the throttle partly open.
Made no difference, car fired up after some time with no fuel smell or any evidence of being flooded.
However, noticed the main power lead to the 60 amp fuse had a burnt look on the insulation.
This lead supplies power to everything except the starter.
It also is spliced and joined to the lead which leads to the alternator.This is a standard factory loom !
Not an ideal way of supplying all those amps.
I will try to make up a separate lead from the battery and see how that goes.
But I still think the coils don't get enough power at cold start because the connectors are pin connectors.
Might work fine when car is new but after time and a bit of corrosion they will play up.
Can't beat the good old spade connectors.... larger surface area=less resistance.

ChappyVS95

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Holden Commodore VS Ute
Sounds like most VS's do it, Yeah in the mornings mines similiar cranks a few more times than it would if u used it few times in the day

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
But I still think the coils don't get enough power at cold start because the connectors are pin connectors.
How did the spark look when you checked,was it a strong blue spark or weak orange spark?

pomiedore vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim series 11 v6
Spark looked yellowish while cranking the starter.
My eyesight isn't what it used to be, could have been white to yellowish.
But not blue.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Spark looked yellowish while cranking the starter.
My eyesight isn't what it used to be, could have been white to yellowish.
But not blue.

It should throw a strong blue/white spark.If its orange/red coloured its a weak spark and that could be part of your problem.When were your coils renewed last?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Never. Still original.

The coils might need replacing.I noticed a big difference when I replaced mine.It started better,ran better and was a lot better on fuel.I had one coil stuff up, so I replaced all 3 of them.I think they slowly get worse over time and dont produce as strong a spark as what they did when they were new.Id only use genuine holden coils or a good known brand like MSD.

pomiedore vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim series 11 v6
I've checked the coils for resistance as well as the leads. Plugs and leads are new.
All are within spec. as per the Haynes Manual.
The annoying part is the car runs perfectly fine when it starts.
Don't want to buy new coils for the sake of it.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I wouldnt take much notice of the resistance test.I was fixing a VS with a miss, and we checked the coils resistances and they all showed ok.Then after a heap of stuffing around and wasted time we ended up changing the coils over for different ones and found one of them was stuffed even though it was showing up ok on a multimeter.If they have the cylinder numbers marked on them in white,thats a sign they are probably the original coils, new ones have no cylinder numbering on them at all.

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
I would of thought if it was something electrical like coils causing the start problem, that the problem would still show it self at any temp?
Like say when the car is under load, up a hill, or accelerating, overtaking, that kind of thing..