Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold weather affects keyless access

ozdrexler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
This winter every time I have visited the gf's place and its got really cold overnight, my unlock wont work on the key. Cant pop boot, cant unlock doors.. nothing. I end up having to use the key itself in the door to gain access, which then starts the alarm which of course annoys everybody in the street. I have used both my keys and experienced the same problem.

Then I wont have the problem again until I go back there and the car stays outside overnight in the icy cold. Silly problem.

galaga2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Is the car parked near overhead electricity or something that could affect the signal? I have had this on other cars before where I can't unlock the car. if the car is parked a few metres further I have no problems.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
This winter every time I have visited the gf's place and its got really cold overnight, my unlock wont work on the key. Cant pop boot, cant unlock doors.. nothing. I end up having to use the key itself in the door to gain access, which then starts the alarm which of course annoys everybody in the street. I have used both my keys and experienced the same problem.

Then I wont have the problem again until I go back there and the car stays outside overnight in the icy cold. Silly problem.

Always a problem when you visit your girlfriend and can't pop your boot.

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
Cold weather can cause the voltage in the key FOB to drop below the threshold to operate properly. Recommend replacing the battery in the key.

Alternatively microwave your key for 5 secs before leaving the house :devil:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Cold weather can cause the voltage in the key FOB to drop below the threshold to operate properly. Recommend replacing the battery in the key.

Alternatively microwave your key for 5 secs before leaving the house :devil:

.. I would REALLY advise not to microwave your key :hmmm:

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline

That is what it will be.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
if the fob is inside with him then it shouldn't be that cold, the cold will make the mechanicals stiffer in the car due to cold-door actuator, plus voltage drop on car-due to cold weather, cover the car maybe-car cover,

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I put my key in the wine cooler bag one time to save myself opening the boot by accident or even starting the car with the keys in my pocket only to find that the key wouldn't work until it was warmed up after being in the cooler bag :-(