Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore rally car

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks for all the info guys. I signed up to the brisbane sporting club forum last night. Im dead keen on a commodore as i know they well, have plenty of parts for them and i have driven them all my life. I would very much like to build my own (as you said it would be more exspensive), but thats another learning experiance. Also helps to know whats in the car and if/when something breaks you know what it is, where it is and how to do it. Thats the biggest thing for me when buying a car, not knowing the history or the dodgy things someone has done to it to make it work. But before i even consider to start i have to find an event held around here. This why i can find out their rules and regs so i can build a car ro suit those.

Once again, thanks for the information.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
An early TX3 Laser AWD with a Mazda BPT or even just a mazda B6T engine would be a great little starting point. Small, light, agile, suspension is simple ( front end is very similar to a commodore but with a CV joint stuck through the middle) and handles well stock. Perfect for the not so serious racers and even some of the serious ones.

Reasonably cheap too other then the engine but you could always use a non turbo B6 with a few supporting mods which would go ok.

Snoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh rally car
There is a one make series for Hyundai excels, and this is a very good way to get started. I ran in the NSW Gemini series for 3 years while I learnt the ropes and gained experience.
This way you can compare yourself against other drivers in Identical cars and you can see how you are improving. There is a few guys in QLD running them as well. Check out excelrally.com.au for some tips on how to get involved.

But if I am paying the bills I would rather drive a rear wheel drive car. To me if you can't hang the bum out under power I would rather stay at home and poke my eyes out with a blunt stick.
That is just me though.....each to their own.

Snoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh rally car
Yeah that car is overpriced in my opinion, but it would be worth your time to go and have a good look to see what sort of things are done to a rally car to make it reliable and to prevent damage.
I sold my car for 12 grand with about 20 wheels and 12 good tyres, plus a ute load of spares.
Unless you are very handy with a welder and grinder etc. You will struggle to build your own car as there is a few things you have to strengthen.
If you choose to buy a car it will give you a good headstart.
I don't know of many in the area you live though. There is quite a few commodore rally cars in the southern states. Victoria in particular has a fair few, mostly early model 6 cyl ones.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Rally.jpg

1995 Holden VR Commodore
This factory prepared vehicle was driven to victory by Ed Ordynsky
and co-driver Ross Runnalls after 19 days and 20,000 kilometers
in the gruelling 1995 Mobil 1 Around Australia Rally.

Features: Trials prepared engine, gearbox, suspension, lighting and interior. 3.8 litre V6
engine and 140litre fuel tank.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Hey guys, after watching the rallys on the weekend
Did you see the Brakes Direct (ala GSL RallySport!) Evo's?!

I saw 2 commodores in that event, why are they V8s?
Because they can be. The green VE is in the same class as the factory diesel i30, and got beaten by it for most of last year. Power (and to a lesser degree torque) count for very little in rallying. Same reason Excel series one make cars can take podiums in major events.

Could you use a V6?
Yes, and personally, I'd take the less weight and more rearward weight distribution. There's a V6 VS ute running in QLD rallying.

Is anyone else interested in it or are currently involved in clubs or events?
I'm a member of Brisbane Sporting Car Club, currently sponsor a two car ARC team, as well as title sponsor one of only two FIA international motorsports events in the country (give you a clue, I'm not Qantas, and it's not the F1!), former Hyundai series winner, and have taken podiums in QRC rounds in a non-turbo Impreza. So yeah... got a little to do with rally! :p

As i plan to just pick myself a commodore shell (wish for a VK, but might end up getting VN to VR) and start building one up. I will be looking for a club or events held around here to find out their rules and regs so i dont go building a car that can not be entred.
Definitely come along to the BSCC club nights... although you missed my presso, two months ago I did a talk on brakes!