Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common faults in VZ utes

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Heyfolks,

I am planning on upgrade my VT Commo to a VZ ute, although I would like to know what are the common faults and repairs to look out for. I'm looking for a ute between the 70,000 - 130,000km on the clock.

Maybe it would be best to know what should have been replaced before it reaches that many KM's etc, i think you get my drift.

I really do appreciate your information and advice!

Cheers,
Joe

tunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ tonner
What are you getting? a one tonner or just a ute? The original diffs in the one tonners are dodgey, all the blokes i know who drive a tonner have replaced the diff at some stage (myself included). but otherwise, no other ute-specific faults. personally, any other faults ive had have been reported by drivers of sedans (oil pressure sensor, ignition barrel, fuel guage inaccuracy, etc.

good luck mate.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Not to mention timing chains that will go around 150,000ks. Also, the clutch fitted to the V6 is not up to ute standards.

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
cheers for the advice guys!

right now i am looking at a 2006 VZ S Thunder ute. It's automatic (unfortunatly, i love my Manual VT) and it's done around 90,000km. It has a tow bar but has not done much towing at all apparently.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for all your tips!

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
My vz manual is heavy clunky and notchy. Maybe just needs better oil or rebuild, but its been like that since i got it, maybe the auto is better.

Also, ive heard the style side's cant handle more than 200kg on the tow ball, or it starts to bend the chassis.

benerrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
cheers for the advice guys!

right now i am looking at a 2006 VZ S Thunder ute. It's automatic (unfortunatly, i love my Manual VT) and it's done around 90,000km. It has a tow bar but has not done much towing at all apparently.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for all your tips!

I bought a 2004 V6 auto VZ a few weeks ago, with 105k on the clock. Great ute, cannot fault it. I was the same as you, concerned about an auto, honestly it doesn't phase me, still responsive with plenty of go. If you have any other questions id be happy to answer them!

william-940

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
I bought a 04 VZ S Auto and it has done nearly 170k. I bought it at 135k and i have had no problems at all

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Thanks guys, This really helps.

I am going to check this Ute out tomorrow and I have also had a few good friends who have mechanic backgrounds BOTH say the same about these utes - that they're great!

It is a Thunder S...do they have 6 stacker CD players? I read on Redbook that they do...

PS: For a 98 VT executive Manual that has been extremely well maintained and serviced, how much would you recommend selling it for? The Manuals in this model are very rare.

Cheers,
Joe