Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cone in v6 intake manifold, wats it for?

vccommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC station wagon 202 project car, VP v6 sedan
Hey guys, i was told buy a guy the other day to pull the plastic cone in my intake manifold out. but i want to know what it's for before i do it. dose it js act like a restricter plate or sumthing? any information i can get would be much appreciated thanks.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
It called the bellmouth, do a search theres a few threads about it.

ice_cold17

Ice Cold
Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Executive S2
Yeah its the bellmouth,i took mine out,basically holden put it there to suit the family of that time because the series 1 models were a bit too loud or chirpy at the wheels,that bellmouth basically sent the air more evenly to the cylinders and "tamed the beast" so to say...i didnt really notice much difference when i took mine out,its a bit more lumpy on idle if anything,and at times it spins slightly off the line but nothing to get excited about,some ppl will say that you gain like lots of HP and accelaration and all that coz it opens up the air intake more but thats all BS,try it out and see how it goes,every car is different,u may notice a difference or u may not :) hope this helped

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Leans out the rear cylinders without it. I took mine out but put it back in. Noticed no difference apart from a lumpier idle. I recently pulled that motor down and the valves were evenly colored so I would say leave it in. I did play around with cutting it but after that I just got a new one from the wreckers lol

vamplestat

calais93
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS caprice
leave it in, you will gain NO improvement from removing it apart from a more shitter idle and leaning the 2 rear cylinders... to quote from someone else on this forum

" guys been there and done this. now I know it doesn't do anything. I've tried taking it out, cutting half away, putting it back in etc.

from the throttle body into the plenum there is nothing restrictive. from that point forward the motor will make 160kw's tuned correctly.

I've done it on a dyno, and now I have it from the horses mouth. Hilton Lategan (australian service manager consultant for holden) removing does nothing but produce a worse idle.

the restrictive parts on the motor are the exhaust, and everything from the throttle body to the air cleaner.

all have been done, do keep power figures down, noise down and fuel economy up.

get rid of the black plastic induction pipe and get a metal one from rocket for about $90. get a pod filter, or to stay legal a panel filter (K&N) why buy paper filters. they flow less and only cost half as much as a k&n but you have to replace them yearly. and k&n you just clean.

buy a bigger throttle body. because the vn to vr has a map sensor and not a maf sensor, you can do lots more things and the computer doesn't really get affected.

put the bellmouth back in. it will help your car to run smoother, and idle better. taking it out does nothing. dyno proven (no difference)"

i took mine out to see if there was a difference and apart from a crap idle it make no difference between all the rev ranges, felt sloppy off the line, i out it back in and it idles much smoother and has a much smoother acceleration compared to having it removed..... your best bet it to go with extractors, exhaust, chipped ECU and a CAI and panel filter preferably KN and maybe a 70mm ported n polished throttle body. but as for the belmouth forget it you will risk more damage to your engine in the long run