Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

connecting vz head unit to amp

desert-eagle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ lumina Executive
Hi,
I recently got a sony xplod 4 channel amp and sub woofer. I am planning to connect them myself. The amp has option for high level input. Can any guide me . should i tap the rear door speaker and run a cable to the amp . All suggestion would be welcome. I know about the ASR people they can run a rca out from factory head unit but its sort of expensive for me and if plan to spend 250 bucks with them i would prefert for a double din player.

Cheers
Rob

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
Hi,
I recently got a sony xplod 4 channel amp and sub woofer.....The amp has option for high level input......... should i tap the rear door speaker and run a cable to the amp .........
Cheers
Rob
All good (L) +(R) speaker leads to the amp (L) +(R) high levels and will sound pretty good as well :spot on:
Thats how I ran my amps before the RCA mod.

desert-eagle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ lumina Executive
where can i locate the cables ? should i remove the headunit and look at the back and what colors are they.

desert-eagle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ lumina Executive
i i connect the left and right front and rear speakers to amp , and after installing line in converter i can also use my ipod off it ?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
EDIT: VZ not VE ;)

Ahh the line output converter, not input.....confused me ;).

I would only use a line out converter if it was a high quality one, not an el cheapo. Otherwise just use the high inputs on the amp. If youre planning on powering speakers from the amp as well as a sub, then you'll need to tap into all four speaker wires. This is done easiest by tapping into them at the stereo, but as you cant access the wiring by removing the stereo in the VY/Zs then the next best option is to remove the p/s side panel of the centre console and accessing the wiring there:

* Open glovebox, there's two screws holding this side panel into place on the right hand side of the glovebox opening. Undo them.
* Beside the passenger seat there's a screw, undo this.

The panel will now come down and you'll be able to remove it. From here you should see the wiring loom for the stereo, refer to the VK-VZ stereo wiring colours thread for the speaker wiring colours.

You can either do this or access the individual speaker wires in the kick panels (before they go into the doors) and the B pillars (near the seatbelt bolts).

Run them back to the amp mounting spot and connect them to the high input plug of the amp.

Last edited:

desert-eagle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ lumina Executive
line converter high output to low output.

desert-eagle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ lumina Executive
instruction to remove central console panel. sorry havent got much idea how to remove it.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Oh yeah, about the iPod input....you'll need to get your head-unit modified by ASR / Phreddy to have an aux input.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Havent had any experience with that mod before, so i cant comment on whether it works or not.....if youre not confident with that type of soldering then i wouldnt attempt it as you could easily cause damage to your head-unit.