Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Constantly Failing Water Pumps

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Hi,

I've been having an issue with my SV6 over the past couple of years where I am going through a water pump every 6/9 months.

For example:

22/06/2009 - Had water pump replaced
19/12/2009 - Water pump gasket leaking. Replaced pump and gasket
05/08/2010 - Pump found to be leaking again. Replaced pump and gasket.

Now I'm not too fussed as these have all been free (12 month parts warranty) - but is there some issue with my car which could be causing these pumps to fail all the time??

I'm beginning to think its not just a coincidence that I've had three pumps fail in such a short amount of time...

Ideas? :idea3:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
is your mechanic sure its the pump? cos theres an O ring and a seal for the pressure cap housing that is right above the pump that are common points for coolant leaks, looks like the pumps leaking cos it runs down onto it.

the plenum needs to be removed to gain access to these for proper inspection

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Youd know if it was leaking elsewhere because it would keep leaking when the pump was replaced...

FnomnaVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Berlina
Stray current in the coolant? Do you know if the right coolant has been used all the time and changed often enough. Could have been contaminated along the way.
Did they do a full flush of the system when the pump has been replaced? Who replaced the pump each time?

I know when I bought my car it looked like the pump had recently been replaced - orange RTV around the pump. The coolant also wasn't looking orange like it should.
(see pics http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ushing-radiator-what-coolant.html#post1514590)
Looks like they've just topped up with any green (silicates) coolant instead of the proper GM orange (OAT) stuff.

Just saying there could be something in the coolant causing it.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Thanks for the replies guys,

The coolant has been dumped and replaced each time the pump has been done and they've always used the red long life coolant - so I'm pretty sure that the coolant isn't the issue.

Each time I've had a separate mechanic out to check the car and they've all said it was the pump - but based on the number of times I've had it replaced I'm beginning to think they might all be getting it wrong.

Peanuts - That leak out of the pressure cap housing - are you talking about the outlet I've highlighted in the attached image? If so - would this be leaking down the engine above the pump?

vz v6 engine.jpg

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
Peanuts - That leak out of the pressure cap housing - are you talking about the outlet I've highlighted in the attached image? If so - would this be leaking down the engine above the pump?

View attachment 98751

thats the one!
have it checked out cos its a common spot for alloytecs to leak from, have done hundreds of seals at work

FnomnaVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Berlina
So is it worth doing that seal at the same time spark plugs are due, since the plenum comes off for them anyway? Is it just a couple of bolts and a new seal?

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Geniune coolant to be used.
Check Belt length and also tensioner pressure.
Use GM water pumps not ebay ones.

Coolant definatly is a concern if its not geniune stuff.
Take the belt off and check the alternator does not have crappy bearings that will put excessive load on the water pump.

Other than that not much else can be done.