Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting Series 2 VY Berlina to Calais

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK guys, a little advice please.

My recently purchased VY 2 Berlina has most of the external items and colour to match the Series 2 Calais. Items I need to alter include:

Grille - until I purchased the car, I thought the only difference was the insert inside the chromed surround, but it appears that the actual surround is larger, with the top bar mounted to the bonnet similar to the VZ Calais. Am I correct?

Lower grille - the series 2 Calais has a different insert to the Berlina, with a honeycomb pattern rather than a single bar. Any idea of the cost of this insert?

The rear bar has a similar type of pattern on the black insert - cost? Also, how is this insert retained?

Sill panels and front/rear skirts - the series 2 Calais had SS type skirts, but I'm not particularly interested in them, as the Berlina had its own style of skirt which differed from the rest of the Series 2 range. In fact, I think the Series 2 Berlina had a lot of Series 1 Calais components fitted as standard.

Wheels - 17x8 five spokes. I've only ever seen them fitted to the Series 2 Calais and the late VZ SSV run outs. Any idea of the cost of these - they never seem to appear on Ebay.

Finally, removing the air-bag on VY-VZ. Unlike the earlier models, these appear to be clipped into place rather than torx-screwed. Has anybody removed the bag from a VY or VZ? The spokes on the Series 2 Berlina steering wheel are done in the dark metal colour to match the dash panel, rather than silver as per the Calais. I'd like to fix this, but the air bag has me stuffed.

Any assistance would be most welcome.

Regards

PJ

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Here's a link to the VY II Calais wheels: Wheels

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
The vyII calais wheels and the vz ssz wheels are different.
Run a search for the removal of the airbag, have done mine and it is quite easy, the instructions i followed are on here somewhere.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Guys,

Thanks for the help so far. I have seen the "wheels" site when looking for the cost of these things originally. (I think the site is the Wheel King, isn't it?) They must be one of the most expensive standard Holden alloys (HSV and VE SS options excepted).

Juzo - have another read of my post. I mentioned the SSV, not the SSZ. The SSV was an end of model run-out for VZ's and they definitely used the Calais rims - every time I see them on an SSV, I envy the owner. They seem to be extremely hard to come by unless bought new - I have never seen them for sale second hand.

I have been able to come by a set of brand new genuine alloys which the dealer thinks might be HBD (Holden by Design). They have a part number stamped on them which is listed as VY 2 Calais, and they are similar, with 5 wide spokes, but the studs are exposed, not covered by a large centre cap as the genuine Series 2 wheels were. Not quite as attractive as the real thing, but they will definitely look better than the standard 16's the car currently has.

Let's see if anybody else can help with my other queries. I'll check out the airbag thread too - my sone recently paid $100 to have his standard VZ wheel replaced with a Calais wheel he had pre-purchasaed.

Regards

pj

kave1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 v8 berlina
I think you will need to change the head lights & tail lights as these differ from the berlina as well.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I have seen the "wheels" site when looking for the cost of these things originally. (I think the site is the Wheel King, isn't it?)

Yep its Wheel King.

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
dude ... they steering wheel is a PIECE OF SHIIT to take off:ranting::computer::mad:

it has four clips on the back (which are nearly impossible to get too), to unclip them u have to wedge something small and strong enough behind a small metal bar, and then pull to the side (right side clips must be pulled towards the drivers window, left side clips must be pulled towards passeneger window) .. ill add a diagram to explain

note: there are four clips, two on each side. Also it is a good idea to disconnect the battery (-ve terminal first) to eliminate any chances of the airbag exploding and possibly fataly harming you.

hope it kinda helps, and good luck.

p.s. i ended up performing surgery on a small fork and that ended up doing the job, have fun bud :thumbsup:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Guys

Many thanks for the advice so far, especially the airbag removal. My son will really be p***ed when he finds out how simple it was - we were told by the dealer that "special tools" were needed for the job and not wishing to stuff up a $1000 airbag, we decided to leave it to them. Bye bye $100 and the damned wheel isn't even on straight. Return visit to FHD (friendly holden dealeer) coming up for rectification.

Juzo - I know the headlights are different - in fact, I'm wondering if its possible to split the lens from the body of the lights and paint out the reflectors - that's the only difference there, as the lights are otherwise the same, but what is the difference between the Calais and Berlina taillight? I wasn't aware that they differed.

Has anybody split the headlights to do the black-outs?

Regards

pj

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Guys

Many thanks for the advice so far, especially the airbag removal. My son will really be p***ed when he finds out how simple it was - we were told by the dealer that "special tools" were needed for the job and not wishing to stuff up a $1000 airbag, we decided to leave it to them. Bye bye $100 and the damned wheel isn't even on straight. Return visit to FHD (friendly holden dealeer) coming up for rectification.

Juzo - I know the headlights are different - in fact, I'm wondering if its possible to split the lens from the body of the lights and paint out the reflectors - that's the only difference there, as the lights are otherwise the same, but what is the difference between the Calais and Berlina taillight? I wasn't aware that they differed.

Has anybody split the headlights to do the black-outs?

Regards

pj

Yes it is possible, a guy in melbourne does them for about $150 bucks i think.
If you change the tailights go for the vz ones, they look heaps better, the difference isn't alot but it is there on the vy ones.