Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

converting to abs

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
so really its one of those safety equipments they put on cars for the rare situation that you might need it. ill just go for the vt front upgrade. do i need to make sure the upgrade kit comes from a non-abs vt or does it not really matter?? i drive my mums vt a lot which has abs and obviously bigger brakes and it just shits all over the brakes in my vs. ive never felt the pulsating in the vt so im guessing that means its because i havent had to use the abs

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
my old VR had it, Never needed to use it as stated only is used for emergency situations and if you take your foot off and back on the pedal quick enough to avoid lockup its the same thing.

My mate upgraded to RDA Slotted Rotors which improved his braking pretty dramatically but @ $150 a pair vs the VT big upgrade which comes with four routers, Lines, Twin piston Calibers etc there is no Comparison and also will be more effective then your mums VT due to slotted routers, so there would be No Gas cushion created between the Rotor and Pads under heavy braking.

I myself am going to do the VT upgrade next Pay and upgrade my master cylinder while I am at it.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
so what would be better then getting some slotted vs rotors or doing the vt brake upgrade?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Yes, the master cylinders are different between ABS and non-ABS; it's been covered in previous posts.

I say that ABS is definitely worth having given the choice. In many situations where ABS will be useful it will take a very disciplined and skilled driver to not panic and jump on the brakes hard enough to lock them. Coming back off them is likely to make the situation worse. Even knowing the theory and intermittently practicing emergency stops. Been there, seen and done that.

This is not an aspersion on anyone's driving skills. Unless you are regularly practicing to the point where it becomes second nature - regularly using your road car for motorsport is about the only way I can see that you could do that adequately - I doubt most people would behave any differently.

The above is based in part on having tried (practice) emergency stops and manouevres in a car with the ABS active and with it disabled.

I am less enamoured with stability control and, particularly, traction control as the thought processes and skill required where they will be of benefit are usually different, although, given the level of attention given to the task of driving by most (particularly non-enthusiast) people, they are worth having too.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
^^^ 100% agree.

To put it another way.

Airbags may save you WHEN you hit something.
ABS may PREVENT you from hitting something.

Of all the electronic saftey devices that are available in new cars, I rate ABS the highest.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---

yeah i think i may do one of those as well, but not until the end of the year when funds permit. uni fees must come before car mods unforunately...

Yes, the master cylinders are different between ABS and non-ABS; it's been covered in previous posts.

I say that ABS is definitely worth having given the choice. In many situations where ABS will be useful it will take a very disciplined and skilled driver to not panic and jump on the brakes hard enough to lock them

yeah i see where you are coming from. i nearly got rear ended once as i had to brake hard not to go through a red light. the brakes started to lock up and then i realised that the driver behind was also not slowing down enough so i had to ease of the brakes and keep stabbing at them not to lock them up and to make sure i didnt brake so hard the car behind me would hit me. if i do sell my current car in the future ill make sure ill get a car with abs. however i wont be selling my current car because it doesnt have abs. i like to think that i wont really need the abs.... still be nice to have it just in case i guess

LittleAlex

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Calais, '75 Lancia Beta Coupe
"yeah i think i may do one of those as well, but not until the end of the year when funds permit. uni fees must come before car mods unforunately..."

Knowing how the uni fee thing feels unfortunately....

My Calais has ABS and the only time i have had to use it is in the rain or dirt, comes into its own in these cases...

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
hi mate.
abs with vt front calipers works very good.
but converting a non abs car to abs i beleive is not worth it.
installing the extra parts is easy but running the wiring loom which is tapped into the current loom will be a nightmare!
also I beleive this would not be a legal mod considering your messing with the brakes,
An engineers certificate would definetly be required or in the event of an accident,
wether or not brake related your insurrance will deny the claim.

Good tyres/ clean brake fluid and slotted discs will make the biggest difference and still keep it legal.

I have vts ready to go on but while I still have good pads and slotted discs they seem close to the vt,s.
on a vs statesman v6 btw.

vts really seem to mess with the brake bias.

under heavy braking the vs discs will get fade,
slotted hardly any fade at all
and vts slotted and drilled none what so ever what I could tell, this also included
high speed braking to 0.
but vts unless the car is slammed make it want to nosedive and wanto lose control even more.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
so does that mean you have to get an engineers report to do a vt brake upgrade as well then as thats also messing with the brakes?