Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to Gas - any advice?

sah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY-Acclaim - LPG
Has anyone ever had issues with valves and LPG? is it worth getting flashlube or not?

You can find a lot of information on this subject. Most people say it is good and helps a lot. So i went for it, as the risk involved is too high as compared to the cost involved in fitting and running it i.e. the Flashlube cost. The recommended usage is 1 lt. of Flashlube for 1000 lts. of LPG. So say roughly 1 lt. of flashlube for about 6000 kms. of driving which according to me is not much.

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
liquid gas injection

I've got my V8 '04 Monaro running on liquid gas injection. It's far superior to SVI as it doesn't user a mixer and the LPG is injected as a liquid. Also doesn't require a piggy-back to the stock ECU (uses the stock ECU to drive the gas injectors). You also gain a bit of extra power due to the higher RON of LPG (usually about 100-108).

Take a look at this link - Lpg Liquid Injection - Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

I've had mine running on gas for about a month now, with no issues

Dyson

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS Wagon
My conversion to dual fuel took 4 days. Advice, hmm... look around for your own tank before you send it in. I bought my own donut tank for $200 and it took a few hundred of the cost of the job.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
It's far superior to SVI as it doesn't user a mixer
Neither does svi
You also gain a bit of extra power due to the higher RON of LPG (usually about 100-108).
The extra ron only is of significant value in gaining more power if the compression ratio is increased, which is an engine mod.
The extra power in lgi comes from being able to get more charge into the cylinder due to the lpg being injected in low volume form(liquid) and not displacing oxygen in the intake.

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
Neither does svi

The extra ron only is of significant value in gaining more power if the compression ratio is increased, which is an engine mod.
The extra power in lgi comes from being able to get more charge into the cylinder due to the lpg being injected in low volume form(liquid) and not displacing oxygen in the intake.

I thought SVI still needs a gas mixer to convert the gas to vapour before injecting into the manifold? What's used in place of a mixer instead?

poweredbycng

Reaction score
I thought SVI still needs a gas mixer to convert the gas to vapour before injecting into the manifold? What's used in place of a mixer instead?

You've got your terminologies mixed up (mind the pun).

A MIXER is a device that mixes fuel supplied from the REGULATOR with the intake air. It is installed upstream of the throttle body in the intake system. Mixers can be either venturi-style or IMPCO (air-valve) style.

A REGULATOR (a.k.a. vaporiser, governor, expander, etc.) is a device that depressurises the fuel from storage pressure to metering pressure. Due to the cooling effect caused by rapid expansion, to keep temperatures at acceptable levels, engine coolant is circulated through this device.

Therefore an SVI system has one or more regulators, but no mixers.

Regards,
Dave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
getting my injected vapour gas system fitted on friday 13th march woo hoo

jackels

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy with SS kit
hi im in sydney. getting my LPG duel fuel put in tomorrow into my 03 VY, costing $2700 (will claim the $2000 rebate). i asked the installer about setting it up to integrate with the computer and he said that you end up with too many faults, and its better to have it running separate with LED indicators. The workshop its getting done at is supposedly a reputable place.

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
hi im in sydney. getting my LPG duel fuel put in tomorrow into my 03 VY, costing $2700 (will claim the $2000 rebate). i asked the installer about setting it up to integrate with the computer and he said that you end up with too many faults, and its better to have it running separate with LED indicators. The workshop its getting done at is supposedly a reputable place.

Whats the brand of the LPG setup mate is it the mixer system I fitted a Impco last 2 weeks.If you can get a flashlube kit fitted to it, and also ask him to change the plugs and leads as this is important to keep good ignition and stop the backfireing as I did both of the above .