Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to Gas - any advice?

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
Bennzy,

There's a Holden Factory LPG conversions for the GenIII ? I asked the local dealer previously who just shrugged his shoulders? Does it run as a dual (petrol/lpg) setup, is it a gas injection, or gas carby setup?

Is it done through Holden, or do they send you to an aftermarkter LPG installer?

This sounds excellent, is there a GMH part number, anything ?

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
calaiscruise, its a duel fuel system. its gas injection. its a holden approved after market gas system so of course holden dealer are going to be looking at u weird and all all. my gas mechanic gets the system in from somewhere not sure exactly where it comes from and he will install it for me.

i will find out more when im able to see my gas mechanic since he's very busy with fitting gas and hard for me to see him because of work, ill be getting mine fitted on the 14th of august so next week. takes about 2 working days to be installed.

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
Woohoo :w00t:

Thanks Bennzy, that's exactly the sort of system I want on my car.

Whilst I had been waiting until the 3 yr new car warranty expired, before putting an aftermarket lpg system on (so as not to void my engine warranty...just in case), a Holden lpg system could (surely) not void it so I could install sooner.

many thanks, I await to hear your news, and how well it drives, economy, and how well it's integrated into your car. Do you know if traction control will still work in lpg mode for the V8, because I think it's disabled on the Ecotec
V6 holden lpg system (at least it says in manual).

Cheers

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Anyone with a conversion have economy figures? V6 and/or V8? I know ya get worse economy with LPG, but the figures I've heard have varied hugelly. Thanks!

Stevie C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive V6
Finally bitten the bullet, And decided to go for LPG. With the latest conservative predictions of $2+ for unleaded per litre over the next 6-12 months, its time.

I'm getting the Holden factory approved gas fitted on thursday to my VY series II wagon. It includes the ECM software upgrade for integration with LCD display etc. Also the Holden system uses the sequential injection system I believe.

Steve

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bennzy

After you said you were getting a Holden approved lpg system for your GenIII I was curious and called me local dealer, as I was under the impression they did not approve of one.

When I called me dealer (in NSW) they confirmed there is not one for the GenIII. Holden only approves lpg for some Rodeos and the old Ecotec V6 but only as ordered from the factory. :cry: Perhaps Holden in other states approves ?

My GenII will just have to wait until the warranty runs out.

Although it seems the Federal Government is supposed to announce a $1000 grant to everyone putting lpg onto their car ..... coooool :dance:

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
there are holden approved systems out there ive seen the plate for one on a commodore a mate just bought that has a gas system on it. i wouldnt be getting this system if it wasnt worth it but ive seen a few been ordered through my gas mechanic and he said it was a holden factory one. i dont think my gas mechanic would lie to me. this system is only just come out.

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bennzy,

I do hope you're right, perhaps Holden has recently released an lpg system for the GenIII, related to the imminent relase of the VE 6.0L V8 ... they'd be mad if they didnt.

Would it be possible to get the details of your gas mechanic?

What state are you in? I'm in NSW.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I've got a VS Calais L67 and would love to do an LPG conversion (assuming this government subsidy goes ahead) but I have had conflicting advice on whether the L67 can be converted or not. I have read that almost any car, forced induction or otherwise, can be converted to LPG, but I have also heard that the L67 can not? Which is it?

Also I am curious about a couple of things...

Do you get 2 seperate fuel gauges? i.e. a gauge for petrol and a gauge for gas?

And can you switch between petrol and gas with the car running?

And are there any long term side effects to running LPG rather than petrol?