Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Convince me Iphone 5 V Samsung Galaxy S3

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
It's more personal preference,if you like to mess with settings and customize the **** outta your phone then go the S3 if you wanna just have the latest and greatest from apple which seems to be more of a fashion statement these days get the iPhone.

Tap'n Like A Boss

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Well, another reason to keep the Galaxy. I was a bit peeved to find out that Mudmaps haven't released an Android version yet, they were working on one back in July apparently, but nothing has come out yet. Since we are avid 4wders I wanted an app that would track our trips and to keep a log of where we have been so we can find them again. A friend has a VMS, another friend has Mudmaps on his iPhone. We don't always go out with them so we can't rely on their apps to find spots we want to do again. Today I found My Tracks, uses Google maps and Google Earth to plot your course and save your trip. The Galaxy has in built GPS so it doesn't need a mobile signal. Similar to the iPhone. Great little app, and it's free, not like Mudmaps that you have to pay a subscription for to have the topo maps on your device.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
has anyone heard about Jolla?

seems like it could be an interesting future.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Well, another reason to keep the Galaxy. I was a bit peeved to find out that Mudmaps haven't released an Android version yet, they were working on one back in July apparently, but nothing has come out yet. Since we are avid 4wders I wanted an app that would track our trips and to keep a log of where we have been so we can find them again. A friend has a VMS, another friend has Mudmaps on his iPhone. We don't always go out with them so we can't rely on their apps to find spots we want to do again. Today I found My Tracks, uses Google maps and Google Earth to plot your course and save your trip. The Galaxy has in built GPS so it doesn't need a mobile signal. Similar to the iPhone. Great little app, and it's free, not like Mudmaps that you have to pay a subscription for to have the topo maps on your device.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but although the GPS works without a phone signal, the maps would need an internet connection unless they are already in cache.

GPS companies such as TomTom or Garmin (or Mudmaps) of course can let you store a full set of maps, but Google relies on internet reception to connect with their constantly updating maps and views - its a web based system.

Of course the backtrack features will probably work, via GPS co-ordinates, but I suspect if you want to see an actual map you are still going to need a paid subscription to an annual set of maps.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Trayner:2296148 said:
A recently released report by PC Mag put the iPhone 5 against previous iPhone models, then against top Android models including Samsung’s Galaxy SIII released in June and Google’s Motorola Droid RAZR M released just last week. Guess what? Apple’s iPhone 5 was declared the world’s fastest smartphone.

When compared to previous years’ iPhone models, the iPhone 5 obviously came out ahead. If that wasn’t enough, it should be noted that it often came out ahead by a factor of two. In browser tests, it scored nearly twice as fast as the iPhone 4S in Browsermark, where it was more than three times as fast as the iPhone 4, even with all phones upgraded to iOS 6 (which boasts improved browser speeds for all). The graphic tests resulted in the iPhone 5 scoring 2.2 times as high as the iPhone 4S and more than 8 times as fast as the iPhone 4. In general, PC Mag said the iPhone 5 was overall 2.5 times as fast as the iPhone 4S and over 4.2 times as fast as the iPhone 4.

PCMAG_iPhone5_vs_Androidsmartphones.jpg

When Apple’s new iPhone was pitted against Android phones, PC Mag noted that last year’s iPhone 4S running iOS 6 on its dual core, 800MHz A5, “is about on par with leading Android 4.0 phones like the Samsung Galaxy S III and the Motorola Droid RAZR M, both of which are using 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processors, ” adding that “obviously, the difference is that Safari is a faster browser than the Android browser.” PC Mag continued by saying that the new iPhone 5 “takes things to the next level,” stating that “its Browsermark score is 80% higher, and it shows much quicker Sunspider times.”

The iPhone 5 won overall by a narrower margin, but as noted, “the ‘memory’ and ‘stream’ scores, both of which test loading data in and out of RAM, come out much better on the Apple device.” In a graphics-specific processing test, the iPhone 5 beat the S III and RAZR M by more than a factor of three. The report concluded that “based on these benchmarks, the iPhone 5 lives up to the promise of being twice as fast as the iPhone 4S. I’s also, for now, the fastest handheld computer sold in the U.S.”
One issue is the u.s market use the snapdragon processors for 4g. Samsung's exynos processors don't play nice with 4g.. so these Brower speeds are true as tested as it's in the u.s market. But anything relating to graphics game play etc is different here as our market uses the exynos quad core setup. It's like snapdragon is a ssv with a 3.0 v6 in it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
This explains many things.

Ahhh Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
for me, i use the iphone, i use it for 1 main reason, im to stupid when it comes to phones these days, atleast with the iphone i cant brake it to badly.