Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant in reservoir bubbling up.. (VR)

macca_223

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V And VS SII Berlina
Hey guys. I got an issue with my VR commie. I have changed the bottom hose and radiator cap. But I still have the problem that the coolant boils in the overflow reservoir. Any ideas as yo what it could be? It is the Buick engine :bang:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would make sure it's bled properly, it may have an air lock.

What does the temperature gauge say when it bubbles in the overflow? (Which is actually the expansion tank.)

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
Bleed the coolant at the thermostat housing bleed valve mate, may have gotten some air in there when you replaced the bottom radiator hose.

If it still boils, it's best to get your cooling system pressure tested. It could uncover any internal coolant leaks that can cause this. Any internal leaks mean a loss of system pressure, the coolant will expand to the overflow once the engine is switched off, and you'll get boiling/discharging.

macca_223

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the responses. The temperature gauge stays on a quarter. I have bleed the system heaps and no air is coming out. Was doing the same thing before i changed the hoses over. Could it be a cracked head or the inlet manifold gasket?

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
More than likely it'll be the inlet manifold gasket, they are prone to failure. Watch out for other symptoms to confirm this though. Excessive water out the exhaust, coolant contaminated with oil and vice-versa, sludge build-up on the inlet manifold itself, a loss of coolant level in general to name a few. You may not have most of these symptoms at all yet, as it could be at an early stage of gasket failure, but be wary of them.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
Might just be normal expansion/operation of the coolant system...what happens is as the pressure rises in the cooling system the radiator cap is forced open and the pressure is vented through to the expansion tank
Any air in the line going from the radiator neck to the tank will cause strange noises/bubbling sound till all the air has cleared...every time you remove the radiator cap or the expansion bottle cap more air gets in...A tight bent radiator cap, radiator neck or gunk in the neck will make more noise as the system vents and cools...If your not loosing fluid or pushing large amounts of coolant out into the expansion bottle,I wouldnt worry to much about it ..If the system is pushing heaps of fluid out, then check the radiator cap is of the correct type and pressure rating if fine... then start looking for locations that air maybe getting into the system...also it pays to let the car idle for a min or so before shutting down this allows for the temp and pressure to equalize through the system and engine....

macca_223

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Wozza. I have the 135PSi cap on the radiator. It keeps spitting out coolant most of the time. Might open the radiator cap see if the neck is clean. But on my VS I changed my inlet manifold gasket and it fixed it up. But I wasnt getting oil in the coolant or vise-versa... Might look at doing the inlet manifold gaskets and see how I go