Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant leaking from behind passenger headlight

BADTR1P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Any idea what this could be? It's leaking from behind where the fog light is (see my avatar pic), next to the radiator down low somewhere. Passenger side.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That’s going to be from the reservoir. Theres an overflow on it.

What this suggests is the filler cap on the motor is rooted. Coolant will be going out and not back in. This causes the reservoir to overflow.

The car will overheat if you keep driving it.

Buy a new genuine cap. Clean the surface on the filler up a bit.

You’ll need to drop the coolant. Replace it. Air needs to be purged from the system using a specific method. Go through this link to see how. You’ll need to buy a coolant bleed/filler bucket from eBay first.

Getting the air out is really important.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is this an auto? Sounds like it's leaking from the rad around the trans cooler lines. Relatively common problem.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Grab a torch and have a look down the lower side of the radiator. You are looking for red liquid.

Look for dry areas of coolant near the affected area. Will be a light pink colour when dry.

BADTR1P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
That’s going to be from the reservoir. Theres an overflow on it.
Reservoir is on drivers side no? Already put new genuine cap on a couple of months ago due to an overheating issue I was having (didn't fix it unfortunately)

BADTR1P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Is this an auto? Sounds like it's leaking from the rad around the trans cooler lines. Relatively common problem.
Yeah auto.. I did think it was from trans cooler line. Or possibly power steering? Since both use red liquid.

BADTR1P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I'm now wondering if it was just coolant I spilled when doing a coolant change a month ago that got diluted and rinsed out when I washed my car today... since I just hosed the bay down now and no longer seems to be leaking..