Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant leaking from water pump and then it stopped

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (V-Series) Omega with alloy wheels & rear spoil
I apologise in advance if this is going to be a stupid question ...

I have a 2006 Omega (V-Series) and noticed coolant leaking from the waterpump. I could not see where exactly as the pully is in the way. I know the coolant resevoir tank was way above the full level and with all the leaking it sort of went down to the exact Full level. The leak has since stopped (after buying a new waterpump, read to change it over) and I am just wondering;
1. Is there a drain hole or something on the water pump
2. I would have though the level in the resevoir would not really matter if over filled. Is this co-incicdence that the leak stopped at the same time the coolant got to the correct level in the reservoir ?

Looking forward to your replies .. THank you.

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (V-Series) Omega with alloy wheels & rear spoil
I replaced the water pump yesterday and it turned out to be the seal close to the bearing that leaked. The funny thing was that it only leaked sometimes, normally on hot days.

Replacing the water pump was not a big deal, but when I tighted the bolts back up, the recommeded 10Nm torque setting proofed to be too much for one of the bolts and it snapped. I had to take the whole pump off again to remove the snapped bolt