Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Leaking & Mechanics

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
Hi All,
I have a 2008 Holden VE Omega which is about 120,000KM
The other week I noticed coolant leaking from the front and back of the engine block. I took the car into Ultratune and apparently they replaced the water pump and the top hose water fitting for $650! :mad: The next day I check the engine and coolant was still leaking from the engine. Also yesterday, the "Check Engine" light came on and the car loss power and shakes when accelerating. Is this related to the so called repair works?
Anyone know what the issue may be please? What obligation does the mechanic have to rectify these issues?
Thanks

Rothel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I don't know too much about the Omega model as I own a SSV but being a commodore I have had overheating issues. if it's leaking make sure to keep topping up the radiator, last thing you want is a cooked engine.

Did you just notice the leaking or was the engine temp running high?

Is there any leaking from the radiator/radiator connections or is it all from the block?

has the car lost power from the moment you start it or only after running for a while?

The first thing I would check with the commodore is always the thermostat to see if it's opening properly. Turn the engine on and get your hand in and grab hold of the hose going from the bottom of the radiator into the engine. If the thermostat is closed you shouldn't feel anything, once the engine reaches running temperature the thermostat should open and you should feel the coolant start to flow.

Check around the connections and radiator for any dried coolant residue, check coolant level in the radiator (when cool). You may need to try and pinpoint the leak, clean up any that you can currently see and find exactly where it's coming from.

Sometimes there may be several things that could cause a leak, the mechanic can only diagnose the issue and try to fix it.
For example a sticky thermostat will cause overheating but may also cause leaks in several places, connections, hoses. They will likely blame the leaking on the radiator and replace that only to find it's still leaking from a shot seal, which will then also need replacing, once all of the leaks are gone the engine will still overheat only to find that the thermostat is gone.
Although the leaking radiator may not have been the issue they will still charge you for all the work performed.

As for the shakes and loss of power, the car may be going into survival mode.

P.S never use Ultratune.

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
Thanks for the response.
The car is operating at normal temperature. It appears the radiator is only leaking from the front and rear of engine. I've looked at the forum it could possibly be as you suggested, the o rings/connection.
The coolant level in the resivor is low when engine cool and high when engine is heated.
The check engine comes on straigh away when i start the engine
Will never goto Ultratune again!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Coolant leaks can jump from place to place if you have a weak cooling system. And dont bitch about price if you dont have the skill or tools to do it yourself.

Sounds like your car is in need of more repairs if you are now getting engine lights on. But, that will probably just give you morw cause for complaint over paying a tradesman to do work for you.

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
Coolant leaks can jump from place to place if you have a weak cooling system. And dont bitch about price if you dont have the skill or tools to do it yourself.

Sounds like your car is in need of more repairs if you are now getting engine lights on. But, that will probably just give you morw cause for complaint over paying a tradesman to do work for you.

I wouldn't complain if the job was correctly repaired, as promised by the mechanic.

I have never heard of coolant leaks jumping from place to place.
The leak is obviously coming from a source if properly pressure tested.
Your post is pointless.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I think you missed what sabbath was saying...

The mechanic found a leak from the water pump and rad hose. He repaired it and charged you accordingly.

The car continues to leak from a different location by the sounds of things. This is indicative of further issues. The cooling system is kept under about 15psi of pressure (I think it's 15 in commodore)...so once a leak has been repaired it is entirely possible for it to begin leaking from another week point not long after.

The weakest link was repaired... Unfortunately for you, this caused the next weakest link to fail. Unless its leaking from the same spot... Your mechanic is not at fault but instead your car. You will need to spend more money with him or another mechanic.

Parts and labour for a water pump for a VE with rad hose... I think $650 is fair and reasonable. Its not a $60 water pump like the Ecotec V6

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
It looks like the coolant is leaking from the same spot from the engine but i dont know
Thanks for the info Tasmaniak

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I wouldn't complain if the job was correctly repaired, as promised by the mechanic.

I have never heard of coolant leaks jumping from place to place.
The leak is obviously coming from a source if properly pressure tested.
Your post is pointless.
So, because you, the untrained and unskilled customer have never heard of coolant leaks jumping, or finding the next point of least resistance it must be untrue? Lol.

Customers like you are adorable. More than happy to shitcan a business anonymously when they have no obvious grasp of the subject matter.

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
Have taken the car back to Ultatune.
Apparently they cleaned coolant in the valley of the car and said they will add some sealant additive to the coolant free of charge?
If this dosent stop the leak the mechanic said I will probably need a new head gasket - the car dosent seem to have symptoms of a blow head gasket - no white smoke from exhuast or coolant in oil.
Will check the o ring if the mech hasnt already done so.

Last edited:

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
So, because you, the untrained and unskilled customer have never heard of coolant leaks jumping, or finding the next point of least resistance it must be untrue? Lol.

Customers like you are adorable. More than happy to shitcan a business anonymously when they have no obvious grasp of the subject matter.

Forum Users like you are adorable - add your worthless comments for the sake of posting.