Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Leaking & Mechanics

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Have taken the car back to Ultatune.
Apparently they cleaned coolant in the valley of the car and said they will add some sealant additive to the coolant free of charge?
If this dosent stop the leak the mechanic said I will probably need a new head gasket - the car dosent seem to have symptoms of a blow head gasket - no white smoke from exhuast or coolant in oil.
Will check the o ring if the mech hasnt already done so.
The symptoms you've listed are indicative of a head gasket.... But a well and truly advanced crack gasket/head.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Coolant leaks can jump from place to place if you have a weak cooling system. And dont bitch about price if you dont have the skill or tools to do it yourself.

Sounds like your car is in need of more repairs if you are now getting engine lights on. But, that will probably just give you morw cause for complaint over paying a tradesman to do work for you.

So, because you, the untrained and unskilled customer have never heard of coolant leaks jumping, or finding the next point of least resistance it must be untrue? Lol.

Customers like you are adorable. More than happy to shitcan a business anonymously when they have no obvious grasp of the subject matter.

Well said sabbath.
I completely agree with Sab.

Its very common for a leak to occur after another has been fixed.
Can be straight after. Can be next week.

You ask us if we can tell you if your engine light is to do with what they have done?
Hang on
Let me get my crystal ball

Rivers56

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
I had a coolant leak at the front of my engine where the thermostat connects to the engine. Was a matter of taking the part off and fitting a new O ring from bursons. While I was at it I changed the screw on cap since the rubber can wear away. Cheap and easy fix

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
Well said sabbath.
I completely agree with Sab.

Its very common for a leak to occur after another has been fixed.
Can be straight after. Can be next week.

You ask us if we can tell you if your engine light is to do with what they have done?
Hang on
Let me get my crystal ball

well i did describe the symptoms with the check engine lights.
but anyway, it was the coil pack

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Forum Users like you are adorable - add your worthless comments for the sake of posting.

Nope, more for the sake of accuracy of information. Like i said, anonymously bashing a company for what you perceive as bad work when you dont know the first thing about the subject matter isnt on.

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
Nope, more for the sake of accuracy of information. Like i said, anonymously bashing a company for what you perceive as bad work when you dont know the first thing about the subject matter isnt on.
Get your facts right mate.
I never posted any misleading and deceptive and liable comments to cause damage in the market place having a financial impact on the business. My comment wasnt intended defamation of the business. All I said is that personally I won't be using Ultratune anymore, and thats my god given right where I spend my money. All I did was share my experience with that mechanic. Isnt the purpose of this forum to learn and share in a public domain? So how's about you be more constructive rather than be a total douchebag sabbath.

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
No. Just no. You came on here adamant that you had been "ripped off" not only on price but also because its started leaking again. You might not have said exactly that but it is so obviously implied.

If you look back, and use your eyes you will see that I actually added the comment about the nature of coolant leaks.

So, to wrap this up. Ultratune now have over $600 of your money and you have a leaky car. Guess thats a win for karma.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Coolant leaks can jump from place to place if you have a weak cooling system. And dont bitch about price if you dont have the skill or tools to do it yourself.

Sounds like your car is in need of more repairs if you are now getting engine lights on. But, that will probably just give you morw cause for complaint over paying a tradesman to do work for you.

Nor the ability to shop around because 600 bucks on a water pump for an Alloytec is actually quite funny.

I wouldn't complain if the job was correctly repaired, as promised by the mechanic.

I have never heard of coolant leaks jumping from place to place.
The leak is obviously coming from a source if properly pressure tested.
Your post is pointless.

You plug one leak up, the coolant will find the next weakest point to try and escape on an alloytec the water pump is a very well known problem, so them changing it even though it may not have been the problem really isnt that bad for you in the long run.

Sounds like youve got a few areas that need looking at.

Have taken the car back to Ultatune.
Apparently they cleaned coolant in the valley of the car and said they will add some sealant additive to the coolant free of charge?
If this dosent stop the leak the mechanic said I will probably need a new head gasket - the car dosent seem to have symptoms of a blow head gasket - no white smoke from exhuast or coolant in oil.
Will check the o ring if the mech hasnt already done so.

So theyre going to chuck in some radiator stop leak and give it a hose down?

Forum Users like you are adorable - add your worthless comments for the sake of posting.

Hes a mechanic who has lots of technical advise posts.

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
Nor the ability to shop around because 600 bucks on a water pump for an Alloytec is actually quite funny.

To replace the water pump was actually $300.
The price was for two jobs....

You plug one leak up, the coolant will find the next weakest point to try and escape on an alloytec the water pump is a very well known problem, so them changing it even though it may not have been the problem really isnt that bad for you in the long run.

Sounds like youve got a few areas that need looking at.

Okay thanks for the further info

So theyre going to chuck in some radiator stop leak and give it a hose down?

Basically yes, if that don't work the mechanic suggested I would need a new head gasket.
All the hosing and seals o ring have been checked/replaced

Hes a mechanic who has lots of technical advise posts.

He could of fooled me.

Last edited:

namboss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Holden VE Commodore
The car was misfiring too. Took it in to Holden to get check engine error code and apparently cylinder 6 was misfiring.
I've replaced spark plugs and coil but there was water inside? dosent seem to be coolant? I have cleaned it but does anyone know where this moisture may have come from? is it normal after time?? As sabbath has pointed out in several post, I'm not mechanically minded.

Last edited: