Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Leaking

VT Owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 V6 VT Berlina
Wife got home last night with the radiator almost empty and steam coming out from what appears to be behind the bottom flywheel. Got up this morning and refilled the radiator. I did a quick check to make sure that the thermostat housing, heater tap and pipes weren't the problem and they seem fine and dry. After about 3 mins, I noticed that the water I just refilled the radiator with started pouring out from somewhere behind (I think) the bottom flywheel. I checked the dipstick and rocker cover and neither have signs of milky oil so I'm assuming that the engine block isn't cracked (I hope at least).

Not sure what the problem is so I'm open to suggestions. Also an indication of the price it'll take to fix it.

BTW, her car is a 6 cyl VT Calais if that's any help.

VT Owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 V6 VT Berlina
Nah, as I said - I checked that first (I replaced it in February). I cleaned up the engine and the water is coming from somewhere behind the bottom flywheel (or just above it).

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
By flywheel do you mean the harmonic balancer ( the big pulley at the bottom of the front of the engine)? If so, are you sure it's not leaking at the waterpump and running down behind the balancer.

VT Owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 V6 VT Berlina
Yeah that's the one. I'm reasonably sure although I can't be 100% positive. The water pump looks to be dry and the water appears to be coming from the mid-lower right of the block.

Last edited:

VTvoodoo

99 VT S2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
ive got the same problem, mine started leaking bad, but appeared to be leaking either side just behind the water pump area(could only see it running lower left and right of front block) , so took water pump off and gasket was pretty stuffed , so double check your water pump, fill up the rad, then put your fingers in behind pump and see if u feel moisture

VT Owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 V6 VT Berlina
I guess it wouldn't do any harm to replace the water pump gasket anyway and I might just luck in. Thanks for the heads-up.

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
do the pump as well as the gasket . coz itl lsave doing it again later on

VTvoodoo

99 VT S2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
yeah i agree, a new water pump and gasket should set you back to much

VT Owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 V6 VT Berlina
It appears it may be the water pump and gasket. Had a feel around and water is coming from the bottom of the water pump so I'm assuming its the gasket. Any tricks to removing and replacing the water pump and gasket? Is it a difficult job - anything to watch out for?

I've got a copy of the VT Series II Repair Manual and page 27 (Removing the water pump) has me removing more than I really want to. I'm assuming I don't need to remove that much?

TIA