Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Leaking

VT Owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 V6 VT Berlina
OK, removed the pump without too much trouble. Gasket definitely needs replacing. Anyone got tips on how to remove old stuck gasket easily? Water pump looks OK - not much can go wrong with it, it's just an impeller driven by the belt.

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
change the pump they will eventually leak and not only from the gasket , not to mention the blades of the impeller will corrode and fall apart , spend an extra $80.00 approxand do the job properly , and while the belt is off check it for cracks , hope you drew a mud map as well :)

VTvoodoo

99 VT S2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
OK, removed the pump without too much trouble. Gasket definitely needs replacing. Anyone got tips on how to remove old stuck gasket easily? Water pump looks OK - not much can go wrong with it, it's just an impeller driven by the belt.

still waiting for pump off ebay , and havent started scrapping the old gasket off yet, so id like to know as well, any tips for removing old gaskets?

EDIT Duh! ...ive actually got half a can of gasket removal spray that i pick up from supercheap awhile back, so thats one option

VT Owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 V6 VT Berlina
Cool, will look at getting some as well. Peeled off much of the gasket by hand but some stuff is stuck on like superglue. Going to get a new pump just in case (was told it was about $150 at Holden but that was some time ago).

VT Owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 V6 VT Berlina
Picked one up at Autobarn 10 mins ago for $70 so happy with that. Got some gasket remover as well :)

VTvoodoo

99 VT S2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
good luck with the install, let me know how you go

chief18

Reaction score
Members Ride
nil
Make sure to put some gasket goo on both sides of the gasket!

And make sure the surface is spotless or it'll leak without a doubt!

VT Owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 V6 VT Berlina
Yeah did that (gasket sealant). The only problem I had was the water pump pulley didn't fit exactly over the pump wheel (it was a slightly smaller concaved shape due to the Autobarn pump wheel being slightly larger than the stock Holden one). I just used longer bolts and it seems to be working. Might look at replacing it too (from a junkyard maybe).