Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Loss & Engine Misfire

BKP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
1999 VSIII Auto Ute - Motor misses for up to 30 secs after first starting when cold. Longer it is unstarted, the longer it misses, sometimes with excess steam and water from exhaust. Excess coolant is used, sometimes? Returned to dealer under used car warranty yesterday and have been told it is an exhaust manifold gasket problem. I would have thought it is a classic blown headgasket issue! Radiator cap has been replaced with specified type and no external coolant loss is apparent. I would appreciate any comment on this issue.
BKP

been there

Reaction score
I would leave it sitting as usual, then when cold, and after a suitable ammount of time, remove all the spark plugs and get someone to crank the motor over a few times, If there is water in the cylinders, it will be pushed out of the cylinder by the piston.
If this is the case, it is a head gasket, and I would perusue this with the dealer. Get a compression test and disolved gasses test to confirm.

BKP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
Thanks for the reply. When vehicle is returned on Thursday/Friday (Maybe fixed?), I will do as you suggest. The dealer workshop has told me that a compression test and coolant pressure test didnt indicate anything abnormal. Will update post on result
BKP

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Make sure you keep a writtenrecord of what the problem is - what you told them - what they said and dates/times etc etc as once the warranty period runs out its..... "sorry fella"

BKP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
Detailed diary, with dates, times and events has been kept and also given to Dealer. Vehicle was purchased from a non Holden Dealer, but a quite reputable opposition dealer. Will be interesting to see the outcome

MyStreetCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
There is a very good chance that the inlet manifold gaskets have blown and coolant is leaking into the inlet ports of the cylinder head. This is very common with the V6...!!! The engine miss fires upon start up... this is due to the water being burnt out of combustion chamber. Once the water has cleared, the engine will fire on all cylinders.

Worth checking out before you go to the expense of replacing head gaskets.

BKP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
Makes a lot more sense than a blown exhaust manifold gasket!
BKP

BKP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
Contacted dealer again, to confirm it was exhaust manifold gasket. They gave me the wrong info. It is the inlet manifold gasket. Makes some sense now.
BKP

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Do you have any oily residue in the cooling system? Check under the radiator cap. Usually indicates a blown head gasket.

BKP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
Thanks for comments posted. Inlet maifold gasket replaced under warranty. Coolant loss appears to be remedied. Engine miss on start up seems OK
BKP