Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant temperature sensor replacement.

pomiedore vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim series 11 v6
In reply to Aussieforlife11 question, when diagnosing engine management systems, as a rule of thumb, if the problem is intermitent then likely it is a connection or wiring fault.
If the problem is terminal ie, does not go away, then likely it is the sensor. CAS, Coils and DFI modules either work or they don't, there's no in between.
The PCMs use very low voltages so the slightest bit of resistance will cause problems. This is to be expected as cars age and the AC delco wiring looms used on Commodores are particularlly susceptible. The wiper connectors used on the sensor and PCM terminals lose their tension with age. Throw in a bit of corrosion and you can get a dodgey reading.
Before throwing your hard earned money at new sensors, check wiring and connector terminals first. However,the pins on sensor terminals are hard to clean and if they are corroded then replacement is the only option.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
$54 from GMH.

Boy, talk about inflation (or perhaps ripoff) !!! I bought a CTS (part number 92017805) from Patterson Cheney in Vermont, VIC in March 2011. The list price was $12.60.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Boy, talk about inflation (or perhaps ripoff) !!! I bought a CTS (part number 92017805) from Patterson Cheney in Vermont, VIC in March 2011. The list price was $12.60.

The sensor I bought this morning from holden is GMH part number 15326386 or AC Delco part number 213-928.
Id say the sensor you got for $12 is actually the sender unit for the temp gauge, not the actual sensor that the ECU uses, as these engines use 2 different temp sensors, ones for the temp gauge, the others for the ECU.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
In reply to Aussieforlife11 question, when diagnosing engine management systems, as a rule of thumb, if the problem is intermitent then likely it is a connection or wiring fault.
If the problem is terminal ie, does not go away, then likely it is the sensor. CAS, Coils and DFI modules either work or they don't, there's no in between.
The PCMs use very low voltages so the slightest bit of resistance will cause problems. This is to be expected as cars age and the AC delco wiring looms used on Commodores are particularlly susceptible. The wiper connectors used on the sensor and PCM terminals lose their tension with age. Throw in a bit of corrosion and you can get a dodgey reading.
Before throwing your hard earned money at new sensors, check wiring and connector terminals first. However,the pins on sensor terminals are hard to clean and if they are corroded then replacement is the only option.

With the CAS there can be inbtween before it fully stops working.

M1NTVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 3.8L
could not having the blower relay in also cause the heater and aircon not to work and just blow out cold air?
The blower is the cabin fan for the heater and A/C.

You need to test resistance from the relay to the fan itself.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
the heater is controlled by a vacuum controlled tap under the bonnet. so no it wouldnt

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
holden wanted 92 bucks for the coolent temperature sensor a few years ago, neither no they only wanted 19 bucks for it the previous year, the guy said that the prices are absolutely stupid, one day it can be like 50 bucks for a part the next day a few hundred

theres a guy on ebay selling coolent temperature sensors for vs-vy commodore for 25 bucks plus 5 bucks postage (triton? brand), got one, works fine no problems at all

also some other brand selling them for like 50ish bucks

yes i know genuine is better, but seriously triton branded sensors are pretty dam good if you ask me

Andreas

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS III V6 ute
I brought my sensor last week for $54 from holden parts lilydale. All up including replacing some radiator fluid 1/2 hr job and the vehicle has never run better. It would also pay to have all memory cleared from your ECU.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The sensor I bought this morning from holden is GMH part number 15326386 or AC Delco part number 213-928.
Id say the sensor you got for $12 is actually the sender unit for the temp gauge, not the actual sensor that the ECU uses, as these engines use 2 different temp sensors, ones for the temp gauge, the others for the ECU.

Thanks for your feedback Brett, but I know the difference between a temperature sender and a temperature sensor. I didn't notice in the original post that he had a V6 and not a V8 - I was referring to the price for a V8 CTS. However, I fail to understand how there could be such a huge difference in price. They are very low tech sensors after all. I try not to comment on V6 issues but this one slipped by me !!!