Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant through throttle body

mat vsII

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK statesman 5.7, VS exec TURBO
Hey guys. Me and my mate who works at a performance shop were playing around with my WK. He showed me that there is a coolant line going through the throttle body like in all LS1’s, which would warm it up. He pulled off the ingoing hose to the throttle body and directed it strait to the engine block where the outgoing hose was connected. The outgoing hose was tossed away. So now the throttle body has no coolant warming it up. I’ve looked around the forums and I can’t find anything else about this on the forum. Is that because there’s a side affect I’m not aware of or does it sound fine. It hasn’t seemed to affect how long the car takes to reach operating temp.:thumbsup:

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
sounds like your just allowing the air going in via the throttle body to be cooler as it enters, without coolant warming up the throttle and air coming into it. can't say there's anything wrong with it, but haven't had anything to do with mods and mods like this myself. see how it goes, aslong as your not loosing coolant, sounds like it would be ok, noticed anyminor power difference? or not realy?

mat vsII

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK statesman 5.7, VS exec TURBO
its not loosing coolant at all. it seems to be going better but that mite just be a placebo type thing because i expected it. its hard to say without puttin it on a dyno.

Andrewss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
Yeah ive done it, its called a throttle Body By-Pass. Just stops hot water from being pumped around your throttle body so the air doesnt warm up as much b4 it enterers the inlet manifold. I wouldnt do it if you lived in the snow as its there 2 stop your throttle body frezzing up. Dont no if it realy gives u any more power.

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
yeah , its one of the old LS1 mods, its not really worth any power as such, just something that was passed on from the guys in the US who lived in states that it doesnt snow.

Dave

Razor-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
how cold does it have to bee to keep it?
Would Victoria be to cold to keep it bypassed all year? or would i need to reattach the coolant line during winter?

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
how cold does it have to bee to keep it?
Would Victoria be to cold to keep it bypassed all year? or would i need to reattach the coolant line during winter?

nah, Vic would be fine.

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
i dont think i really see any advantage... i mean yea if the tb is colder, but the air passes through it too quickly to really be affected. i think itd be best to just wrap the intake hose with heat shield. but hey, a free mod is a free mod
agreed, but if your cleaning up the engine bay it only takes a minute or two.