Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Can coolant evaporate if the mix is too weak or strong? Seems every now an then I have to had **** loads of coolant. Exhaust tips not wet, no leaks from block area, radiator/hoses show no sign of leaking. No coolant on ground either. Will a pressure test show much? Using Genuine Dex Cool Red. Dropped top hose the other day to replace thermo fans. Just been topping it up with concentrate.... Thought I had it right. Really got me stumped. Clubsport LS1.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you continually top it up, then theres a leak somewhere.

How much and over how long?

Anything from heattap, radiator, hoses, reservior tank etc.
Im assuming you checked the auto transmission dipstick (if its a auto) to check if any coolant in there.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Pressure test will show an external leak. Also check the gaskets for the waterpump, they can leak onto the bash plate and hard to see

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
If you continually top it up, then theres a leak somewhere.

Pretty much this, my LS1 used a grand total of 0ml of coolant in 4 years between changes.

marcus mcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 auto 2000 Olympic commodore, VS 5ltr 5sp ute
the later v6 commys leak around the front of the engine. Does it get hot? It could be pushing it out the overflow. Radiator caps often fail, a pressure test wont show this. If you dont have a pressure tester, start it, get it hot, stop the engine a look for leaks. It doesnt take long for the system to pressurize. You shouldn't lose coolant at all. You can put a large piece of cardboard on the front of the radiator to load the cooling system while it Idles (keep an eye on the temp gauge). Sometimes faulty gaskets and cracks in heads ect only leak when they get hot. When it sits for a couple of day when you first start it does it run perfect? Ill be honest im not really familiar with the ls1, i havent owned one but V engines do corrode/leak in the valley area. My vn used coolant, and nearly hydraulic locked sometimes cold but ran fine once it spat it water out and never had water in the oil.