Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cooler engine

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
I was wondering if it is a good idea to replace the black intake pipe with an alluminium one.
From what i know, the cooler the air getting into the engine the better so therefore the ally pipe wont help because it will draw in the hot air from the engine bay.
i have pacemaker extractors so the engine bay is hotter.
does this heat in the pipe make much difference in performance

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
hi i got pacemakers and a chrome 3" intake and the pipe never heats up in fact my car doesnt even heat up unless im sitting at traffic lights.
I drove all the way from SA to VIC and the gauge didnt reach more than 1/4 but before installing the intake it would get up to about half sounds cool aswell :)

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
so along with my cai it should make it run even cooler.
i was thinking of making one out of 3 1/2" plumbers pipe and a bit of fibregalss to smooth out the connectors.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
ye it will run cooler my pipe goes straight onto a pod filter located where the black box is forget the air box cai and just whack a pod on the end of the pipe :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
I also have a pod filter on my 308 with a 3 " ali pipe and it doesn't heat up at all and keeps the motor cooler by heaps and never heats up not even when at lights ideling at lights.

Attachments

• tn_Feb26152.JPG
    tn_Feb26152.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 170

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Mr Big block, I don't think it will make much difference, I've had a digital thermometer in there and it doesn't get hotter than outside air temp unless you are parked and at idle, plus Aluminium absorbs heat pretty good maybe better than black plastic. But one thing I'm sure it will do is make your air intake louder, even more if you used something harder like chromed steel, because that's why they make it from bendy rubber/plastic in the first place to absorb the sound. Now this might be a good thing if you like the sound of air or a bad thing if you dont : ) but I don't think there is any extra power from the smoother pipe