Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cooling issues

V

vpwgn

Gday fellas, i seem to have a few problems with my S1 VP V6. The first problem is after driving around non stop for a while (30+ mins) it will turn itself off which i assume was the CAS but after a lil research im not so sure because it always turns back on strate away. She needs an intake manifold gasket replaced and i have a sneaky suspicion that the turning itself off is possibly linked to the leaking intake manifold.

My second problem is cooling related. When the car hasnt been driven for a while (overnight or many hours since last drive) and the temperature thing is on full cold it will heat up to 3/4 than drop down to 1/4 and stay there. Now ive just been driving round with it not on full cold and it seems to work ok, just takes ages to warm up.

My third problem is also cooling related. This morning i was checking my oil and water and i noticed a gatherment of sludgy coolant sitting right behind that giant wheel at the bottom of the engine, and it had been leaking from below the water pump. There is also a tiny bit of coolant sittin just behind the thermostat right next to the valley cover. And the other day when i had gotten home from school there was something dripping from the back of the engine onto the exhaust. I culdnt tell what it was but i think it was coolant, i couldnt tell where it was dripping from either.

Theres my problems and im really stumped. Its goin to the mechanic this week hopefully. Any help would muchly appreciated. Sorry for the long post. And sorry if it dusnt make much sense.

Nick

PS its got 289 000 and as far as i know its the original water pump and CAS.

G

GrpA Calais

For your first problem I'd still suspect the CAS. Mine used to cut out whilst cruising and I'd just flick it into neutral, crank it over again with the key, then back into drive and away we'd go. 5 seconds downtime, max. It finally got bad enough that I had to carry bottles of cold water to squirt over the CAS (left front lower part of the engine behind the front pulley, ron the right looking into the engine bay) - that got me to the mechanics anyway. No probs since. P.S. mine's got 317,000km and still hauls ass.

Dunno about the cooling problems, sorry.

hutto

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN V8 Calais/HSV SVO
The temp guage reading are consistant with a faulty thermostat, sometimes stuck open sometimes closed, when fitting a new one be sure to test it on the stove in a pot of water to check it opens be for the water boils not all new thermostats work, also after you change it check the old one as well to confirm it. The water on to the exhust is from your air con evap, there a small rubber disk in the floor with a slit in it to drain the water.

U

Ute God

the turning off and on bizzo i would say your ignition coil....mine would just cut out then i could just switch it back on....check to see if it corroded a bit if it is give it a wire brushing....after a while mine got so bad that i droped 2 cyclinders so it was time for a replacement

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Sorry im in a big hurry, but Ive had the same problem as 1 and it was the MAP sensor.
CAS won't start again straight away from my experience

2nd and third problem sound like thermostat and water pump seal has degenrated.

Not big jobs to fix any of them, but all annoying and dangerous never the less..

cheersss and good luckes..
ill be back

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
About your first problem, my inlet manifold gasket is stuffed as well, and I haven't noticed any problems with stalling. Actually I haven't noticed any problems associated with it at all. Car has done about 275,000 and runs nicely.
Good luck at the mechanics...hope it doesn't set you back too much $ :)