Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cooling question

troy294

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
My mate has a vr commodore auto .
And his air con fan belt is not there as it has not been for a while .
He went to drive the other day not far and car started overheating bad and steaming .
I don't know much about cars ? But does the water pump need to have a fan belt ?? Might sound dumb question but novice for cars

WhiteOx

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS II Acclaim
Yes it needs a serpentine belt or the water pump wont work.

troy294

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Thanks for the help . I had a quick look and the main big fan belt still there . Radiator empty . He said there is a small hole in radiator but it's only small small leak .

troy294

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Serpatine belt is the fan felt isn't it ??? Just another name ??? Or could the water pump just be stuffed

WhiteOx

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS II Acclaim
Is it a v8 or a six?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Radiator empty . He said there is a small hole in radiator

I'd say replace the radiator and fill it up with coolant. It's supposed to be a sealed cooling system with no air in it.

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Hey OP
If you have a "serpentine" belt? or Jesus belt? (one belt to rule them all), this belt actually drives all other pulleys with in the engine, for all Buick V6 engines and Ecotec engines. This also includes your VR! (Buick). From Harmonic Balancer, (Big Round pulley at the bottom of engine), to this; driving the Air conditioning pump, water pump, power steering pump, Alternator... etc... This belt, if it's on and circulating with in the engine bay, whilst the car is idling? then the belt is not the issue.
"Important" The leak in the radiator, and not having no water or coolant? would be causing the over heating issue and possibly causing other unforeseen issues also!. I would start with filling the over flow bottle. This sits just above the battery, with coolant. Second, When the car is cold fill the radiator with coolant if at all possible. (This will depend on the radiator type you have).
Third!!! Replace radiator!!! Most wreckers may have good condition radiators cheap and may provide a swap if damaged warranty. If you cannot replace radiator please buy some stop leak for your radiator! Supercheap Auto have some relatively cheap stuff that works well, and this could possibly stop irreversible engine, and attached pumps, damage with heat exposure whilst having dry lines when the engine is in operation... Add stop leak to your reservoir (Over flow bottle)... This will be the smartest thing your mate will do!!!
Hope this helps..

Ohh secondly.. If your mate insists that it is a small leak? However, you've witnessed steam etc after a short distance of driving??? This is not a small leak!!!.... A leaking radiator is serious, A car with out and engine belt is serious.. (No power steering? No water pump, no alternator (e.g."No power"), and no A/C bu that's no bigy!)
By no means am I forcing my will on you guys, but I also know not having your own ride can be quite the pain in the arse.... At any rate I hope that you guys get this issue sorted... :)
Good luckl!