Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cooling system help, am I overreacting?

missSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve SS
I drive a 2012 ve ss, its done almost 39000ks, been for all its services at the Holden dealership it was bought from.

Here's the story:

I went for a 40 min drive, was sitting at a red light and could smell coolant. Thought it was the car next to me so brushed it off. Two days later went for a small drive and could smell coolant again, alright its my car. I checked the overflow, empty. waited for the car to completely cool and checked the radiator, coolant was sitting just above the fins (is that correct terminology?thats what I call them) inside the radiator. Off to Holden I go.

They pressure tested it, found no leaks and added more coolant. I book my car in a week later to have the front window regulator replaced.

Take it back a week later to have the part replaced and asked them to check the cooling system again because it was bugging me coolant has gone but myself and them dont know where. Not to mention it had been for a service about 5000ks before this issue, so in my head thats a fair bit of coolant to lose in 5000ks. Mechanic notes say "suspect smell of coolant is some residual coolant on exhaust system" I ask to see a mechanic and get him to show me where it is on the exhaust. He couldnt find it. Got told it may be spillage from when it was made. (Surely I would have smelt it within the first thousand ks) I asked how much coolant the car holds they said around 10 ltrs, I asked how much they topped it up and was told it was not even 100mls.

This morning I check the overflow, its full. Open the radiator cap, its looking a bit gritty on the underneath of the cap and the coolant to me looks not as translucent as when I checked it when I discovered it was low.

They have reassured me its nothing to worry about but have also told me at its last service although it says on the receipt the checked the cooling system they may have not actually done it.

So am I worry about something thats not worth worrying about? I keep thinking its getting into the motor, where did the coolant go?

Thanks for reading my short novel lol

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I had a vx v6 that I drove around for 2 years 60,000 klms with an overflow that was always empty and a bit missing from the radiator also. It use to take pretty much 1.5 litres to refill. No one could work it out always got the some vx v6 just like to sit at a certain spot. I was worried at first but after all the kilometres and no problems it didnt worry me to much. I beleive a bit may have been leaking into the manifold and being burnt out. With your car and such low kilometres I highly doubt this is your issue. Just keep an eye on it and if it goes back down again take it back and ask them to please explain.

Nfsve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I would buy a new cap. Cheap and normally removed when they do a pressure test. The coolant should definitely not dissapear. Radiator should be full at all times with no air.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
^^^^^^^
+1 new cap

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Not sure about your model, but the L98 has 2 heater hoses across the top of the motor that have plastic joiners on them. They always end up leaking. Check drivers side just near the main belt tensioner under the engine cover.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
radiator cap , + 2 , hopefully it's not the pump , but that would show itself more with a noticeable leak .

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
You can check the pump seep hole with a mirror, as its on the bottom. If the pump is stuffed you should see evidence of seepage.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
haven't had any problems with the cooling system in my VE, in the 115,000km that I've had it.
But my 3.6 VZ had several episodes - and every time, the solution was a new $25 radiator cap.
So, I carried a spare.

I must say that I'm disappointed that Holden has not yet solved the problem of why their radiator caps fail so often.

I agree with Nfsve - I think part of the problem is that a routine pressure test tests everything but the radiator cap.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
If you smell it, it is leaking or at least seeping at that time and then stopping. They should still find evidence of where it leaked if they had a clue, most of the dealers don't sadly.

missSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve SS
Thanks so much for the replies.

nfsve- The air in the radiator concerns me. Maybe there is an air pocket somewhere now?

Longman- I checked those 2 hoses and they are fine.

Im going to keep checking the coolant level and I will go back to Holden and talk/demand a new radiator cap.

Phillmac- Thats what I kept saying, if I can smell it then its coming out somewhere. The car lost a fair bit of coolant (in my eyes) and they cannot tell me where it went.

Im having issues with the dealership, I feel very unsettled that they write in the service notes that things have been checked but can say to my face maybe it actually wasn't, not to mention how incompetent their "technicians" are. They have asked if I would like to purchase extended warranty, maybe I should do that.