Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Cooling Woes!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i wouldn't think the water pump would be corroded because there are no other signs of corrosion in the cooling system.

i'd go back to the thermostat and possibly the bleeding method used. another member has a great method for bleeding the cooling system. he wedges open the thermostat with a boiled sweet (lollie) this allows the coolant system flow and purge any air the moment the engine starts. this is great for starting a fresh engine that needs to be run in.

otherwise, fill engine will coolant, run engine up to temp. as the thermostat opens the coolant level should drop. ensure the heater is on so coolant flows through the heater circuit flushing any air pockets there.

this reminds me of a problem a mate at work had. his heater never worked (AU falcon :spew: ) car never ran hot, didn't use excess fuel etc etc any way, his last option was the thermostat (well at least a thermostat that looks normal to me). he pulled it out and on the bottom of the thermostat was short extension with a round plate? he replaced it with a normal thermostat and heater worked :) now one must wonder if the wrong thermostat was fitted and what that little bloody plate is suppose to do? not that it solves your problem :p

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Heater not working suggests the coolant is not flowing. Have you replaced the thermostat?? Does water flow freely through the block.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
has anybody mentioned having heater on while bleeding cooling system? what about rad cap? also water pump impeller could be spinning on shaft or corroded to buggery.

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Ok Ok...

So far I have...
Flushed radiator and heater core (no blockages of leaks).
Flushed overflow (no blockages or leaks).
Replaced hoses.
Replaced thermostat and housing gasket.
Replaced the Radiator.
Bleed the system to buggery (with the heater on)

Next stop to waterpump!..

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
it's simple but can be overlooked. does the bottom radiator hose have a spring in it? if not it can collapse from the suction created by the pump stopping coolant flow.

somebody else already mentioned the radiator cap, but it's a cheap option to try

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
it's simple but can be overlooked. does the bottom radiator hose have a spring in it? if not it can collapse from the suction created by the pump stopping coolant flow.

Sure does, I made sure of it!

Ari, you mentioned water leaks from the bottom of the water pump when it has **** itself; does this occur near or around the pully?.. I noticed yesterday when filling up the radiator after a while there was a trickle of water comming from around the bottom of the pully (like it was overflowing or something). Could be where my cooling system presure is going?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sure does, I made sure of it!

Ari, you mentioned water leaks from the bottom of the water pump when it has **** itself; does this occur near or around the pully?.. I noticed yesterday when filling up the radiator after a while there was a trickle of water comming from around the bottom of the pully (like it was overflowing or something). Could be where my cooling system presure is going?

was this with the engine running?

either way you need to find the source of the leak. if it is indeed the pump then replacement is the only option

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
was this with the engine running?

either way you need to find the source of the leak. if it is indeed the pump then replacement is the only option

Nagative, it was while I was filling the radiator (engine off)... Waterpump is next on the list and will be replaced this coming weekend hopefully.

It's costing me a fortune in parts, and frustrating as ****, but atleast I enjoy working on the car.lol.