Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Correct oil and coolant for vy calais?

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hi everyone,

I'm servicing my car soon and wondering if 15w-40 castrol modern engine and A grade coolant is suitable for my VY calais 3.8l engine. Im currently running the castrol modern engine 10w-30 but i find the oil to burn quickly since i drive alot of freeway kms.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
1. OILS

You will get a dozen and one different views from people here on oils but the GM engine oil stipulation for the VY 3.8 engine is :

10w- 30 (SJ or SL , ILSAC GF2/GF3)
or if this is not available
20w-50 or 15 w - 40 (SH , SJ or SL spec)

I use Shell Helix 10w-30 and find very little change in oil levels between oil changes. Oil consumption is very, very minimal. ( However, the engine oil is changed every 4000 km and the engine is in good nick).

Oil consumption is primarily a function of engine condition. If your piston rings are worn you will consume more oil ( not because you run a lot of freeway miles). If owners leave oil changes to the lengthy km intervals in the SERVICE BOOK they will inevitably accelerate engine wear.

If you are using too much oil perhaps you should also check that there are no significant "EXTERNAL" oil leaks that require attention.

2. Coolant

For the VY V6 use CASTROL ANTI FREEZE 350 concentrate ( as this conforms with the GM required HN 2043 specification for the VY V6 coolant). The concentrate is to be mixed 50/50 with distilled water. (If you are changing the coolant in the system go to Holden and buy the coolant pellets. These are crushed and added to the coolant when you refill the system). (Never use any coolant in the VY V6 that does not meet Holden spec HN 2043).

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
I read on a recent thread that those pellets have been discontinued by holden cause they are rubbish, can anyone confirm this?

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
The Pellets only purpose is to circulate the cooling system and if any small leaks arise, the material will repair the leak (Like a radiator stop leak). Holden usually put these in the system for warranty purposes (So they hopefully dont have to do any coolant related repairs under warranty).

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Any green coolant will be fine, just use demineralised water with it. HPR10 oil is the go and don't forget that the VY has a larger capacity sump so 5.8- 6L is the go

uteaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Series 2 Utility
Any green coolant will be fine, just use demineralised water with it. HPR10 oil is the go and don't forget that the VY has a larger capacity sump so 5.8- 6L is the go

There are 2 types of green coolants, make sure it says anti-freeze/anti-boil on it or Type A. If its cheap as s*** it won't be the right one. As for oil Penrite HPR10, Castrol Magnatec, Nulon 10w-30 (this is what i use, very smooth oil and good quality. Aussie oil as well) Nullon make a 6L bottle of 10w-30 as well which is handy for commo's

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Try using a synthetic oil. i have used royal purple 10w40 in my vy v6 for years, no problems what so ever. here is a link to buy it Royal Purple Pricelist

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Thanks heaps guys for you positive comments. I've tried Castrol Modern Engine 15w-40 and i havent changed the coolant yet as it doesnt look off coloured yet

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The Pellets only purpose is to circulate the cooling system and if any small leaks arise, the material will repair the leak (Like a radiator stop leak). Holden usually put these in the system for warranty purposes (So they hopefully dont have to do any coolant related repairs under warranty).

The stuff is just an organic material. Ground up walnut shell or ginger root. It works because it shrinks when wet and expands when dry. It will "clot" in a leak area and then expand on the "dry" side to seal the leak. That is why it wont clog heater cores. There is no air on the backside of the orifice for the material to expand.

Works the same as the old 'used car salesman' trick of using black pepper to fill pinhole radiator leaks...

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
I am due for another coolant change and have decided to use the Nulon Long Life Anti Freeze/Anti Boil Concentrate (Nulon Long Life Anti-Freeze/Anti-Boil Concentrate - 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia) which makes up 15 litres off coolant.

I need to know if using the Nulon Radiator Flush and Clean product is recommended if i have some built up sludge or would these two products not be compatable and only cause damage to my car?

Cheers guys