Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Correct Oil

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
From the Holden workshop manual

GEN III V8

Engine oil viscosity and quantity specifications:

Viscosity ............ GF3 5W-30 SJ or GF3 10W-30SJ

Capacity without oil filter change
Except AWD ........ 5.7 litres
AWD ....... 7.6 litres

Capacity with oil filter change
Except AWD ....... 6.2 litres
AWD .......8.0 litres

But in all honesty theres a few variables, as ricey said depends on how long you let it drain for for instance. Best way is to fill it, let it sit for a couple of minutes to allow the fresh oil to drain to the sump and check the dipstick. If it needs a top up, top it up!

mdmatt

mdmatt
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 LS1 Auto VZ SSZ 328.6rwhp
Yeah cheers guys, it took just over 5 litres without the oil filter (couldn't get it off at the time n didn't have a tool) i'll just check it every now and then i've got the other litre i'll just top it up with that if needed.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I always change my filter(Holden or Ryco) so the 6 litre container is perfect as its only 200ml short of a full change over (by the manual) but I find it is always near perfect level on the dip stick after the change.

BTW if you don't have a filter removal tool and you are replacing it just punch a screwdriver through the body (your throwing it away anyway) and and use the csrewdriver like a handle to turn it.
Punch the screwdriver in as far clockwise around (looking at the head of the filter) on the filter to give you max turn anticlockwise to break the seal.
Once you have done that the filter should just spin by hand.
Also have your drain tray under the filter whislt doing this.

mdmatt

mdmatt
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 LS1 Auto VZ SSZ 328.6rwhp
Yeah cheers for that info ^^

after changing the oil it sat at just above the correct level on the dipstick so all is good.