Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

corvette gearboxes

vnstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina s1 5.0L
quick question guys, the gearbox in my VN 5.0L is flogged so i have been calling around getting quotes and stuff.

It's a series 1 and apparently it's a unique gearbox, ie the crank/flywheel are different to other models of commodore, and only the r40?? t700 will fit it.

(i dont actually know this, just what i've been told)

the same person who told me this also told me there is a corvette gearbox, which is apparently the same as the T700, which he is willing to fit for the same price as the T700, i was quoted $1500 to fit a full reco box to the car.

the mechanic said he imported these corvette gearboxes (i dont know what they are) for 5.0L performance upgrades but only sold a couple and is trying to get rid of the rest cheap.

so i ask, is a corvette box any good, is there even a chance it'll actually fit, and does the price seem ok?

thanks guys.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
he is a tripper theres no way your crank is different and theres no way a corvett box will fit lol. you can put a corvett servo in a t700 trans but that wont effect your flywheel or torque converter. just gives better shifts. i know you can get a corvett servo installed to a standard box for $150 - $200

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
Sounds more like he needs to off load some crap he has in his shop and he deems you to be an appropriate wood-duck to try and off load it to.
Find someone else and get yours re-built.
While you're at it, get the Corvette servo set up if you want a good firm shift into second gear. :yeah:

vnstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina s1 5.0L
i'm going to get a stock t700 reco put in... quick, easy, relatively cheap (as cheap as $1500 is).

but i had another gearbox mechanic today tell me the series 1 isnt interchangeable... something to do with a mating on the end of the flywheel/crank...