Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost Of Service For Vx Calais By Holden Problem

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
And sherman as for your original post I'd call holden (main branch) and tell them you weren't happy with this particular branches service.

S

Sherman

Well I doubt Holden will do anything about it if I complain, however my next service will be somewhere else. I am fed up with manufacturers ripping off for simple and easy jobs that usually take half hour to do. What I have understood is these punks a paid by the hour and when they say to drop your car off in the morning- that usally means they will say to you that they worked on the car from say morning to midday and the labour costs alone will calculate from the time you dropped it off to the time you pick it up. It my case the labour was about 400 bucks. A damn rippoff if you ask me.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Yeah I know what you mean, when you take your key in to get a new remote assembly put on it. They charge 30 or so dollars for the key assembly and 50 for labour. I watched the guy and all he has to do is undo two screws, put in a battery, screw it back on.. then according to the lady at the counter *reprogrammed it*

which really confuses me, as the remote was ordered in through the vin number. my dad got told it was going to be 15 minutes max.
I waited 15 minutes for the guy to get back from lunch - then another 10 for him to get it back into the workshop, about 10 for him to do it, and another 10 for the lady at the counter to realise he'd finished and pick up the key.

But back to what you originally said, I doubt they'd do anything if you did complain, but its worth it anyway, gets it off your chest and sometimes you get results, I've got good reports on Holdens Main branch, they've always helped me out. If they got a few complaints they'd probably check it out.

P

pest77

Once bitten twice shy I say.

I took my VR to holden for a service, they did it cost me about 500 bucks, but then for the next service I took it to a local mechanic, he commented that the radiator fluid had not been changed for a while. i got him to do a test stick on it which said it had not been changed for 12 months or so. Went back to holden who when I checked the bill had charged me for disposing of the coolant and new coolant on the last service. He did a test stick on it and said it had been changed.

What the d*** didn't know is I had done my research and new that the reading his test stick produced was no change, so I asked to see the manager. He returned the money for the disposing of the coolant and still charged me for the coolant.

Now I dont take it to holden, I take it to the local dealer, he charges half as much replaced the coolant for free and now gets most my business.

But a note for going to local mechanics, KEEP your reciepts. For warranty purposes, make sure thay sign the book, I didn't and I got hit for 400 bucks for a broken feul pump. Am in the process of chasing this up, I will get most of it back bar the inconvenience, so keep the reciepts.

On the other hand I take my VX to a holden dealer at Kadina in South Austraila, get a great price and great service, no hassles and the car is detailed every service. I have learnt to shop around, and being from port pirie, I wouldn't let port pirie holden touch the VX it is like a baby. Kadina do do a good job though.

Yes this show two sides, I guess but I have been bitten by local holden dealer and wont return. When I told the kadina holden of my problems they offered me to take the car in for a free checkup, not bad they will fix up the problems that the other holden dealer went and did.

So it is a local mechanic for the VR and Holden Kadina for the VX.

S

Sherman

I think the mechanical/service industry is gone to the dogs in this country. It is very hard to find an honest mechanic and the way things are going it aint going to get any better. Personally unless you sit and watch what they are doing who knows what the hell they are saying they are doing when they havent done the job and you end up paying for work that hasnt been done. Whats to say they don't sabotage the vehicle or a part in someway just to make you comeback and get it repaired again to scum more money from you? It has crossed my mind time and time again. This industry needs to be policed someway to protect the consumer from getting ripped off. We as consumers are constantly getting dumped on by rogue dealers.

K

KILLAB

visit ONE - i booked mine in to get wheel bearing checked out as they were making some serious noises, told them i needed a speaker grille changed, and there was also a clunking noise from the driveline upon pulling up

end of day came - wheel bearings were fine (charged $35 to hoist is up and spin them like a DJ) didnt charged me for the test drive! but charged me $32 to fit a $14 speaker grille.
drove out - wheels still make same noise, not happy jan

visit TWO - told them it needs new wheel bearings, took a mofo for a drive, car didnt make the clunking noise but did describe exactly when it usually does it. pops says it might be the splines in the diff? errr like id no so booked in next day or two or whatever to get diff checked out, and wheel bearings checked out again.

visit THREE - car is there just after 8.30am. told it wont be ready till 4.30 depending on how far they go with the diff blah blah.
rang them at 3.50pm to find out what the go is, was told car needs a diff chatter kit which basically consists of a seal and oil change, guy said 'ahh were having trouble finding the noise in the front' told him AGAIN the fu*ken wheel bearings are gone!
dad went to pick it up later and make sure one of them went for another joyride to make they have there hearing aids in and can realise there knackered.

result in,
both your wheel bearings are gone. REALLY!?!

took two time consuming visits and $35 to tell me i have wheel bearings gone.
loser service guy said we'll order one asap and do the bearings all at the same time.

its been 3 weeks since they were ordered and there coming from spicer in nsw. now i live in vic, so really wouldnt take that long to get here.
but as i later found out what they do is fax off what they need, theres no human comunication, they dont ring them to find out where the stuff is they just work there get paid, go home with a smile and wait till the orders are in. ohh they do go on the net to see the status of the order --> being processed. derr!

p.s peoples my car is a vx calais with lsd. has under 50,000kms and im pretty sure most of u should no that wheel bearings are good for 100,000kms. what happend to mine? whod no. oh my car is under warrently til oct. i HOPE my kit is in b4 then as i dont want to pay anymore money those faggot holden losers.

suppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Impulse Blue SV6 Manual
My VX is now out of warranty so i do it myself. Front pads cost me $60 bucks and 45 minutes to change.The dealer told me that they needed to be changed and wanted to charge me 200 bucjs so i tild em to get stuffed !
I suggest you find a good mechanic and stick with em- stuff the dealers !

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
I feel for ya man. I had so much stuffing around with Holden In Fty Gully. I bought my VX in Burwood and I'm about due for my first service 50,000. It's got the Holden Certified sticker so hopefully that will save me a little bit of money for the time until that expires but I hope i dont have the same problems that you have had.The problem is I'm kinda stuck with the dealer until the warranty expires. They are the kings of "While we were fixing this we found this also and thats gonna cost you a total of 700 bucks"...

S

Sherman

Yeah no worrys- Mine is again due for a service and I have begun to hunt around. Did anyone see Today Tonight last night? They did a test on 3 different cars re-creating a fault in the injector lead by just pulling it out and then they took it took some mechanics to get it checked out. What eventuated was one lady getting charged up to 1000 bucks etc etc etc when in fact the job should have been done for free aka loose connection!!. 3 independant Mechanics charged their heads off and only I think 2 or so came out with the work done for free. What ever the case taking it to say UltraTune does not mean that its going to cost cheaper, what in fact happens is these franchises can charge whatever they feel fit for a service because they are independantly owned. That test was done with 3 different people taking their cars in for the job, 1 Women, 1 Man dressed in a Business suit, 1 elderley pensioner- so the women was the one to get the 1000 buck service charge, the guy in the business suit got charged in exccess of 300 bucks and over and the pensioner I think got the least charged. Mechanics a money hungary mongrels and as this test sees it, it is becomeing ever increasingly hard to find a honest mechanic.