Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost to replace water pump? VS V8

Subway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Senator 5.0
G'day all

My car leaked all the radiator fluid and was over-heating the other day so I took it to my regular mechanics. They told me it was the water pump which needed replacement. I wasn't expecting this to be too expensive but got a shock when he called before and told me the total price.

Can someone tell me what should I expect to pay to have the water pump replaced in a VS V8 Senator?

Thanks,

Subby

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Could always do it yourself. Its a fairly easy job if you have the time. Should be a how to on here if you do a search.

Anyways clubby replacement was $80 plus coolant. Took me about an hour and a half to do it since it was my first time lol.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
They're $60 bucks on ebay. Here's a couple of guides: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-change-ecotec-waterpump.84733https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/changing-water-pump-vn-vp-vr.59610

Unbolt old, bolt on new. If you don't like ebay parts, shops would sell them for about $100 and I'd think Holden for maybe $150? (wild guess)

Mechanic will add their percentage on parts and coolant, plus labour, I'd think a mechanic might charge about $250-$300?? But I've never taken my car to a mechanic so my judgement could be way off. Ask them for a breakdown of costs. How much they asking?

Subway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Senator 5.0
Yeah, jobs already done as I took it in and just said fix it. I was also expecting around the $250-300 mark. Total bill was $718! He did say he replaced the alternator belt as well, the invoice has 'Supply and install new water pump, coolant and alternator belt'. I don't know how it could cost that much?!

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
What the flying fudge? There is no way the bill should even be half that. Not much you can do about it now but I sure as hell wouldn't be using that mechanic again.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Oh.

My.

God.

Should've probably asked for a price before you just said "go for it, just fix it". Anyhow, don't let this happen again. Even tell the mechanic to hold overnight and ask around!! Be worth calling and telling them how disappointed you are. Might save the next punter or get some money back. Enjoy your two minute noodles.

Subway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Senator 5.0
Yeah, feeling pretty p'ed off right now. I have been going to this mechanics for years and have always had nothing but high praise for them. I am sure if I mentioned the name everyone in Brisbane would know them. Infact I took my car in about a month ago for a similar over-heating/leaking fluid problem and it was the heater control valve and it was fixed for under $100! So this time around I thought it may be related to that fix, a hose was not connected or had split, either way it would be a cheap or no cost fix as it was just there for a radiator issue. This was before being told it was the water pump.

I questioned the cost and was told it was a very labour intensive job due to the location and being a V8 it's even harder to get to. I said I didn't expect it to cost that much but just got told how tricky and how many labour hours are required. I am sure he said 4 hours labour so I would still have expected that would be around $300!

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
It is a real shame cause it's rather difficult to find decent honest mechanics. I've been lucky as hell the past 10 years since I always supply parts and my guy charges me $80 p/h labour regardless of what I need them to do.

The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the fan off but even that doesn't take long. I'm pretty average with mechanical work but even I found changing the water pump in the clubby to be fairly easy. For a pro it shouldn't of even taken an hour to do.

Subway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Senator 5.0
Yep, your very right there. Finding a good, honest mechanic is very difficult! I thought I did have one but it just shows you even a mechanic who has been trustworthy in the past can change. Maybe they wait for you to trust them then add a little extra as they think you won't know the difference. I should have asked for a price first as suggested and not just trusted them.

I am wondering if there is anything much I can do about it, they are an RACQ approrved repairer and were recommended to me by the RACQ. Can you complain to the RACQ if they are an approved repairer?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeah, jobs already done as I took it in and just said fix it. I was also expecting around the $250-300 mark. Total bill was $718! He did say he replaced the alternator belt as well, the invoice has 'Supply and install new water pump, coolant and alternator belt'. I don't know how it could cost that much?!

I'm struggling to see where the $718 has gone? have you had the hard copy of the bill yet??
at a wild guess is it something like this:
Supply and install new water pump $120 retail on parts & $100 labour?
Coolant $80?
Alternator and p/steer belts, parts $40 each??
Remove and flush radiator - $80 Labour??
new thermostat, parts $20?? (good practice to replace thermostat once it has been overheated as you stated)
maybe a new lower or upper hose?? $20,
i'm really clutching at straws here and i'm only up to $500