Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Costs for a Torque Converter Clutch

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Ok guys as I am still have the problem of the car shuddering at 2000revs (very noticable at over 80kph) and the only thing that it seems is could be is the Troque Converter Clutch, how much would I be looking at for a new one? Whats the cost of a new TCC and what labour charges am I looking at, obviously if its alot I wont bother, but if not I might give it a go. I have a 1996 VS commodore, that is auto.

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
Mine does the same on petrol but not gas (strange). I'm not sure how much to fix, but I'm just dealing with it - i.e. not driving on petrol above 80km/h. I guess I'm lucky, but still keen to fix.

Eliminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maranello red Vn V8 Calais
put the car in neutral and rev it, if the vibration is there than its in the motor or trans, if its only there while driving then its most likely a centre bearing or uni joint.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Its only there when in gear. When revved it feels fine. The thing I dont understand is I have taken my car to two mechanics, neither of which can solve my problem, but it seems this is a relatively common problem. I have heard of over half a dozen other VS commodore's doing the same thing. So I thought people should know what is going wrong.

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
just get another torque converter from a wrecker and try that.

P

Pav

Yeah same thing used to happen to my bros VS, it would always vibrate quite badly when cruising on a highway. A major service fixed that, but it still feels like its going to stall when changing from reverse to drive and vice versa.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Have a look at the site I've posted below - it's about playing with the wiring that powers the solenoid that activates the TCC. Maybe, just maybe you could cut the wire to the solenoid that locks the TCC and isolate it so that the auto acts as normal but will not lockup......so in theory no lockup = no shudder.
This may seem a bit wild but could be a cheap way out. Good Luck.
TH700 lockup torque converter wiring | OldHolden.com

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Lol that sounds a but hardcore, and who knows what kind of effects it could also have on the car.

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
Fuel economy will suffer, as it will rev higher and have less power at high speeds.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
yeah thats why I would rahe just keep it as is rather than do something as drastic as that.