Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

could VZ's new V6 break the 200kw barrier?

chris87

Reaction score
There's always the possiblity that the new V6, possibly codenamed 'Electron', could make more than 200kW to really shove it up Ford!

As seen in Cadillac's CTS and recently-launched STS, the Canadian-built version makes 190kW which is delivered through the rear wheels. So you can say that it has the same setup as the new Commodore.

After browsing around all of GM's sites, I found the Buick Rendezvous SUV (released just after the CTS) is actually front-wheel drive. And even though it's an American car, Holden have actually been exporting the Australian-built HFV6 since October 2003 to Mexico where the Rendezvous is built. That version makes a slightly-less 183kW.

So I have worked out that all the 3.6-litre versions don't necessarily have to have the same power outputs. And the Holden version could really power up, make headlines of being the first Australian car to break the 200kW barrier (in basic form), and most importantly... shove it up Ford! :p

Cheers!

T

t3zza

Yeah there is no doubt that it could, but it won't be 200kw at the rear wheels mate, even the gen 3's don't get that much power to the wheels standard. You need to have a few mods before you get over the 200kw rear wheel power. Holden 190kw is at the fly wheel, so it will be interesting to see how many KW's it put to the wheels though..

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Umm, yea sorry but I thought GM had announced all that above info months ago?! 190kW from the 3.6 version is goodness. The 3.8 for the VZ Commie will push upward of that but the real test will be in a turbocharged (if any) version. Lets face it, Holden need a thumping blown 6 to compete with Ford on all fronts again.

Or they could just build VLT's again :D

Mike

T

t3zza

jetspin_vl said:
Umm, yea sorry but I thought GM had announced all that above info months ago?! 190kW from the 3.6 version is goodness. The 3.8 for the VZ Commie will push upward of that but the real test will be in a turbocharged (if any) version. Lets face it, Holden need a thumping blown 6 to compete with Ford on all fronts again.

Mike

Holden has already stated that there won't be any Turbo in the mere future. So who knows, they could be covering it up but Holden seems to be against turbo charging their engines, while they prefer to supercharge them... Lets face it though, by the sounds of it the supercharge version will have more guts than the XR6 Turbo.... :)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
jetspin_vl said:

Mike
Mate they arn't going to make a 3.8lt, Holden are using the 3.6lt.
Cheers

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
im really hoping they don't go to the turbo for a while, and if they do they are gonna have to do alot to still compete with what falcon has spat out.

i don't really want to go and buy a new commodore thats been turbocharged, you'd just get the 'oh, holden is copying ford' lecture.

190kw at the rear wheels? thats a shitload for an n/a 6..
not bad considering most n/a 3 litre vl's these days have around 90.

I'd be happy with 190 at the wheels from a stock commy.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
It's 190kw at the fly chief.

Cheers

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
How bout this boys Ford has copyed the VL hehehehehe, Every VL on the Road is almost a Turbo Ford just copyed us anyway like they always do ;)

VL Executive

VY SS Ute - Just got 1!
Reaction score
Members Ride
3 VL's, VK EFi, VX S, VY SS Ute, VF SSVR Ute
Yep, its only 190 flywheel Kw, but its still a very impressive figure.

VL Executive

VY SS Ute - Just got 1!
Reaction score
Members Ride
3 VL's, VK EFi, VX S, VY SS Ute, VF SSVR Ute
turtle-power said:
How bout this boys Ford has copyed the VL hehehehehe, Every VL on the Road is almost a Turbo Ford just copyed us anyway like they always do ;)

Yeah you could say that, ford grabbed the turbo idea off us.

I think it would be awesome if Holden released a turbo variant of VZ, It would be like bringing the days of the VLT back. It would cause a big sensation. ;) It sure would take the limelight off fords turbo. :cool: