Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Couple of VK Calais 308 questions

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
G'day all. Long time lurker first time poster..

I bought a VK recently. The guy who had it before me has done a few odd things that I'm trying to fix. I'm hoping you can help me out.

The electronic Calais dash...

1 - Not working properly. It only comes on when the revs are up, then goes blank when they drop. I pulled the dash out and cleaned up all the contacts for the plugs but that didn't help

2 - I did however find 2 bright green lights behind the dash on the end of short looms that don't seem to go anywhere. They look like they should as they have plugs around them that look like they plug in somewhere. They only come on when the lights are turned on. Where do they go?

3 - He took out the cruise control module. I managed to get one but need a wiring and hose diagram. Anyone have one?

4 - Anyone have a wiring diagram for the electronic dash?

Please help. Am going nuts.....

Many thanks

kego

Reaction score
Members Ride
custom vk Calais
there is a main power wire in the engine bay that go's to the battery with a big black plug.
the plug is realy crap.
pull the plug apart and clean it or replace the plug.

i reckon that when you rev the engine the motor is torquing to one side and just moving the plug enough to get contact.

the plug is black and has 2 or 3 red wires and 2 or 3 black wires coming out of it.

sorry mate i dont have a weiring diagram on the computer.
my number is 0429470164 give me a call if you want to explain it better
cheers
matthew

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
Thanks gents. That's somewhere to start.

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
That's what I thought, but its the electronic dash. No holes. I still can't find where they go. Mystery bag.

Thanks Scott. The diagrams helped. I went right over the wiring today. 2 wires on the ignition switch were actually in the wrong slots. Buggered if I know how you do that. Changed them and the fuel gauge started working. As for the dull dash until I revved it - the bloke before me had wired in some after market gauges. He had used a common earth and common positive. They were simply drawing too much current the way he had it. Disconnected them and all is good.

I also found the speed sender he had disconnected tucked in behind the brake booster. Connected all that up today also.

Only problem is that my speedo only gives a reading in reverse. Any ideas why?

Thanks again.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Only problem is that my speedo only gives a reading in reverse. Any ideas why?

Could be your transducer wired up the wrong way round? (I don't think they send a signal in reverse).

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1, VK Wagon EFI 5.0L
isnt the speedo driven by the cruise control module? cant really remember the layout of the calais, if you still need the diags for that i can do a scan tomorrow night.

as for your two green lights the only thing i can think of is your ilumination for your headlight and wiper dwell switches, they slip into the top of the housing from the back, only other lights up there are the 3 for the touch switch logo's.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
The transducer is an electro-mechanical device that sits on the drivers side of the engine bay. It has a speedo cable connected to it from the trimatic and sends a signal to your dash for the speedo and also acts a govenor for the cruise control. This is my understanding anyway.

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
The transducer is an electro-mechanical device that sits on the drivers side of the engine bay. It has a speedo cable connected to it from the trimatic and sends a signal to your dash for the speedo and also acts a govenor for the cruise control. This is my understanding anyway.

Yep yep. I'm suprised you have anything cause the cruise/speedo sensor is all one part.

On the vac diagram did you find one? I had the same problem when I had a VK Calais and spent ages trying to find one. I did in the end, but I could just never get the cruise control working.

The dashes cause no end of problems. Whilst mine all worked, I often considered binning it for a Berlina or SS one. Fragile, poorly done and cant say Im suprised they went straight back to analog