Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracked Radiator

holden_chik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 S1
Well this morning I was driving and I could smell coolant (sp?) so I went home and my fiance told me I have a cracked radiator :bang:

Now what do I do? I know NOTHING about radiators!!

It's a split through the side of it, not through the pipes but the actual radiator itself.

Is it fixable or do I get a new one? And where do I get them from? And price? .. I told ya I know nothing about them ;)

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
I would suggest replacing the split radiator with a brand new item.The best bet for is to find a local radiator shop who does mechanical work to get them to fit the new radiator then all the work and parts are under warranty if something was to go wrong once your get your car back.

holden_chik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 S1
Well, I rang a few places up and it's $255 brand new which is the one I'm gonna get but nothing is open until Monday now :bang:

My dad knows how to fit them all in so he's doing it for me.. at least that's good.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

Silver surfer

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Executive
depending on where in the radiator its self it can be welded up for example the top radiator tank on my landcruiser cracked and was welded back up. it is however a special weld.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
depending on where in the radiator its self it can be welded up for example the top radiator tank on my landcruiser cracked and was welded back up. it is however a special weld.

im guessing that had copper/brass tanks on the cruiser, which can be fixed easily, commos have plastic tanks that are crimped on and when they split price wise your better off getting a newey

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
This is a common fault with VY V6 radiators,the plastic in the side tank was not molded correctly (too thin).It's on the passenger side of the radiator right?
Get a qualified repairer to fit a new one,and make sure they use the correct coolant and pellets.

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
Its a common fault for all commodores fitted with plastic tank radiators to split/crack or bulge in there side tanks.But the most common would have to be VT's in the last month at work we have done 8 radiators in commodore and 5 of them were VT's.

holden_chik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 S1
This is a common fault with VY V6 radiators,the plastic in the side tank was not molded correctly (too thin).It's on the passenger side of the radiator right?
Get a qualified repairer to fit a new one,and make sure they use the correct coolant and pellets.

Yep it is.

My dad is a qualified and I'm glad I have him because I don't have a clue and wasn't looking forward to paying extra for someone to fit a new one in.

Is $255 too high ya reckon? Just for the new radiator itself.