Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank Angle Sensor

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
alright ...

Where is it?
How do i change it?
Should i change it?
It's not shagged, but will changing it improve engine response?
New or secondhand if i change it?
Why am i asking these questions?

sorry to bug you guys im sure you've all got better things to do that read this crap :)

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
The CAS is located on the side of the harmonic balancer. To take it out you need a harmonic pully. You only change it if you can't start the engine properly also the engine is misfiring whilst running. I would not change it unless it giving you issues.
I recommend buying new as you do not know the condition of the secondhand one.
The CAS only provides the timing to the engine there for look at other places which can assist the engine like plug, leads and filters

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
yea thats alright .. i've maxed out the potential there .. 8mm leads pod filter etc... i was just wondering if a new cas would improve things over an older cas .. but if it's either GOOD or BAD with nothing in between i wont worry ...

cheers mate

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
Try and direct cold air to the pod and you can find more hp to you car. CAS does no proformance benefits just sends the timing to the ECU.

tweakt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
the only time u need to change it is when ur car wont start in hot conditions...... if u poor water over the sensor and wait 2 minutes and the car starts its DEAD

M

msh_crew

tweakt said:
the only time u need to change it is when ur car wont start in hot conditions...... if u poor water over the sensor and wait 2 minutes and the car starts its DEAD
Im having problems too. When stopping anywhere the car suddenly dies but restarts. Happened a couple of times yesterday and its winter here in NZ. Any help?

M

msh_crew

vpbeast said:
so u stop, the cars still running then all of a sudden it dies?? but then u can start it up again??
Yeah...starts up. Revs get low and dies. Starts up again and dies when pulling out. As long as the car moves it doesnt cut out.

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
sounds more like an idle problem, that its idling too low. take off ur throttle body and give it a good clean, take out ur tps and also give that a good clean

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
Dirty Throttle Body?

msh_crew said:
Yeah...starts up. Revs get low and dies. Starts up again and dies when pulling out. As long as the car moves it doesnt cut out.

Very possible that you need to clean your throttle body.

My car gave a couple of coughs, and just died for no bloody reason at the lights a week ago, completely out of the blue, it's never EVER happened in 2 1/2 years of owning it before that! :mad:

I did some research and found the throttle body could be the culprit, so I pulled it out over the weekend and checked it out. It was filthy black inside, so I gave it a clean up, and now the car's running better than ever!

Here's a good link to help you. :)

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/a/aa080302a_p.htm

It's also possible that the Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve could be cactus - that's what the engine computer uses to manage the car's idle speed. It's attached to the throttle body.

Good luck!

Last edited: