Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crap fuel economy. Tried everything... What else?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Well Matt that is plain crap. So an early model V6 can get a crap load more than a V6 quite a few years down the track. Don't worry man, I believe you. I have seen this VT struggle to around 400. I can believe any VT to be about the same :) heh

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
manda his fuel system is fine, If it was faulty/damaged/dirty, pump, filter, injectors, anything like that, it'd be using less fuel, not more.

Cheers
MaT

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
My Fathers VT Calais Pulls 380-480km Average... Depending on driving distances/traffic...

You will not pull 550-600km from a tank unless you dont take the car over 2k revs... which is near impossible without you being a slug & danger on the road.

My Vn with ecotec average fuel economy is 9.8ltrs/100km including a bit of lead footing.. I can pull almost 600km Granny or 400 pretty thrashing it, but i have never seen a VT that gets more than 450km on a tank...

Cheers
MaT
The XU6 runs 12-14 depeding and that was when I worked at Dandenong fighting the peak hour to there and back everyday. So either it's good on fuel, or all yours are all crap :p j/k

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Well Matt that is plain crap. So an early model V6 can get a crap load more than a V6 quite a few years down the track. Don't worry man, I believe you. I have seen this VT struggle to around 400. I can believe any VT to be about the same :) heh

theres a slight difference, my cars tuned on the slightly lean side for fuel economy, im not much of a rev head anymore, the odd plant of foot, but i havent gotten wheelspin in a while not even in the wet, doesnt entertain me anymore. So i drive it rather gently & safely now days. but yeah i can pull, if i have to drive to/from our holiday house repeatedly i've hit 670km... averages out at 400ish km. worst i've had is 320km..

dads calais best was something like 560km long distances, but the normal stuff around 400km...

Cheers
MaT

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
manda his fuel system is fine, If it was faulty/damaged/dirty, pump, filter, injectors, anything like that, it'd be using less fuel, not more.

Cheers
MaT
And thats why the things I suggested are listed in the Gregorys under excessive fuel consumption???

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Think logically, not everything in the gregories is correct, it's sort of like a base line intuitive example of things to check. Because every car is different & not everything is tested how it was when the gregories for each model was compiled.

Cheers
MaT

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Think logically, not everything in the gregories is correct, it's sort of like a base line intuitive example of things to check. Because every car is different & not everything is tested how it was when the gregories for each model was compiled.

Cheers
MaT
I'm just offering all possiblities as he has checked/replaced the usual offenders to this common problem.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Also I found in the Gregories to check for a high fuel pressure. Maybe faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator, or blocked Fuel Return Line.

No offenece but it's a pain in the arse being in Sydney without all my equipment and no I won't be checking fuel pressures:D

I am about 600% there will not be any fuel retard here :)

PS. I recently aquired the Gregory's manual and also (I think) aquired a pirate copy of the GM VT manual off ebay. Have a copy, just PM me. Maybe Brent might like it if he is into doing crap on his VT?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
My Fathers VT Calais Pulls 380-480km Average... Depending on driving distances/traffic...

You will not pull 550-600km from a tank unless you dont take the car over 2k revs... which is near impossible without you being a slug & danger on the road.

My Vn with ecotec average fuel economy is 9.8ltrs/100km including a bit of lead footing.. I can pull almost 600km Granny or 400 pretty thrashing it, but i have never seen a VT that gets more than 450km on a tank...

Cheers
MaT

well id have 2 disagree with u there my cars dun just under 200000kms and im able 2 get 620kms out of a tank and thats city driving now just recently got extractors and exhaust fitted around citty has dropped 2 570kms now country roads b4 exhaust and extractors i was gettin almost 800kms outer a tank with them i can get 850kms now those rnt floggin the car at all and is from driving the car as it should b drivin so i believe there is alot more improvment 2 find outer christinas car craig, wat i couldnt tell ya im not as mechanically minded but its possible

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
well id have 2 disagree with u there my cars dun just under 200000kms and im able 2 get 620kms out of a tank and thats city driving now just recently got extractors and exhaust fitted around citty has dropped 2 570kms now country roads b4 exhaust and extractors i was gettin almost 800kms outer a tank with them i can get 850kms now those rnt floggin the car at all and is from driving the car as it should b drivin so i believe there is alot more improvment 2 find outer christinas car craig, wat i couldnt tell ya im not as mechanically minded but its possible

800-850km/s out of a 60-65ish litre tank...

Why does that just not seem right...
Do the math on the fuel per 100km you would be using...
What about 6-7litres 100km. That does not add up & is near impossible from what I've seen/know about VT's.