Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crap Paint

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I am currently borrowing a VE and I am just wondering. Is that paint on these really bad? Reason I ask is because it seems to have a couple scratches and it appears the pain is soft as and doesn't offer much in the way of scratch resistance. Also is it normal for the strut top bushes to have paint on them?

Thanks all

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I am currently borrowing a VE and I am just wondering. Is that paint on these really bad? Reason I ask is because it seems to have a couple scratches and it appears the pain is soft as and doesn't offer much in the way of scratch resistance. Also is it normal for the strut top bushes to have paint on them?

Thanks all
No, and no!
Sounds like it's had a respray.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
1 of the issues. Some ones obviously keyed it but see how the edges are soft. There's another small scratch on the bonnet with similar edge.
Tl907hP.jpg

Ignore the dust but see the rubber strut tops.
YZ5zFQv.jpg

Bear in mind this is a 1 owner car from new. I think there was a previous insurance repair but that was one side (passenger door side)

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
1. A scratch that deep on original VE paint would go down to the undercoat and probably to bare metal in sections. That deep scratch in the photo seems to have been completely painted over with minimal panel preparation.

2. There should be no body paint on the rubber strut bushes in the engine bay. The original bushes do discolour though and parts of the rubber will go a shade of brown. The engine bay is filthy with brown dust and no doubt so are the bushes like the rest of the black surfaces..

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
That scratch only happened in the last fortnight and has yet to be dealt with which is why it's so weird.

The bushes are yellow though not even brown. It's painted on there. No idea why it would of had a respray unless the dealer did something dodgy.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Bear in mind this is a 1 owner car from new. I think there was a previous insurance repair but that was one side (passenger door side)

No idea why it would of had a respray unless the dealer did something dodgy.

who told you it was one owner - and previous insurance repair. Yeah just how bad was the accident....?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
What a shame. That engine bay. OMG.
Damp cloth weekly stops that look.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
As your only borrowing it, are you going to accountable for the repair on the panel scratch?

I'd say its had a respray at some point - even looks like its a typical quickie cheap insurance paint job.
I can't see any wear on the quarter panel bolts to indicate that they have been off before, so they may have tried to hide it - and that's resulted in the strut tops being painted as well.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's the father in laws car he bought from new. He can't drive a manual at the moment so he's got my VW. I have some one fixing up the scratch next month. He's completely clueless about cars (he paid for the dealers "lifetime" paint protection for example) and unfortunately I couldn't help him when he bought it.