Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Creating an AWD Monaro.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Just swapped out the rest of the interior plastics. Was in a rush when I first swapped out all of the grey pieces (dash surround and around radio) for the Piano Black out of the Adventra. Finally got around to finishing it all off last night. Looks pretty good. The black shows up fingerprints and stuff a lot more but it sure is a step up from the dull original grey.

Now just have to find out how to get the VZ binnacles working in a VY. Everything I have read tells me it isnt possible. :( But if I have to swap the gauges out for something else then that is what I will have to do.

hayden2424

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss, vn ss, vk berlina project
Just read your whole thread great build dude! Surprised how straight forward it looks! Good on ya for getting out there and making the most of it! Look forward to seeing future updates!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Just swapped out the rest of the interior plastics. Was in a rush when I first swapped out all of the grey pieces (dash surround and around radio) for the Piano Black out of the Adventra. Finally got around to finishing it all off last night. Looks pretty good. The black shows up fingerprints and stuff a lot more but it sure is a step up from the dull original grey.

Now just have to find out how to get the VZ binnacles working in a VY. Everything I have read tells me it isnt possible. :( But if I have to swap the gauges out for something else then that is what I will have to do.

got the piano black in my two, looks the business but yeah I now keep a microfiber cleaning cloth in each car just to keep them dust free.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Just read your whole thread great build dude! Surprised how straight forward it looks! Good on ya for getting out there and making the most of it! Look forward to seeing future updates!
Cheers. It has turned out pretty much exactly how I wanted it. A few more ponies under the bonnet would be better, but we can work on that later. But it sure is a fun toy. Not much comes anywhere near it in the wet. Cant wait for the Monaro Nationals hillcimb on the 19th Oct at collingrove. I am hoping that I can put this thing up the hill in the quickest time.

got the piano black in my two, looks the business but yeah I now keep a microfiber cleaning cloth in each car just to keep them dust free.
I know what you mean, the kids were 'helping' with the instal and got their prints all over my shiny black. LOL

Also fitted the thicker contoured steering wheel off the Adventra too. What a difference that made, such a better feeling wheel than the stocker.

henners

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
awesome build man, dont know if your aware but a company called rockland standard gear do a steel bolt on adapter for the T56 for a transfer case. used alot in ofroad applications.

their sites Tranzilla, Transmissions, Transfer Cases, OEM parts - Rockland Standard Gear - Rockland Standard Gear, Inc.

couldnt find much on the site about it but emailed them and its $500

main.php

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
WOW... What a weekend. Just got home from running the Monaro Nationals in the Barossa Valley. What a blast.

But the highlight would have to be the hillclimb. 65 Monaros all running up the Collingrove hillclimb.

The AllPaw Monaro performed flawlessly. Here is the story.

Ol mate was back in his tuned, cammed 2006 GTO - 6 litre...... Running a fresh set of slicks.

I was too busy to do much to the AllPaw CV8, the tossers that I ordered the slicks through never called me back. So I washed the dust off her and it was game on with the road tyres that I use everywhere.

Nice and hot so the track had some temperature in it. First run I hooked in and laid down a 39.04. Pretty close to my best ever of 38.5ish. Ol mate put down a 38.73, now considering he had never dropped it into the 38's before, I could see the track was fast.
Next run was a 38.25, my fastest ever, super happy for about 10 mins until he ran with a 38.28. Oh dear, I didnt think there was much left in the car with me doing the steering.
Next run saw me do a 38.21 (well at least I was consistent) He did a 38.30. Here I was thinking he had nothing left either.

Next time out saw me do a 38.04, oh man so close to that magical 37 I have been hunting for. Here I was thinking that he could never get down that low considering he had never dropped it into the 38's before. So he goes and runs a 38 flat. Well I tell you, that sure ruined my arvo. I wasnt meant to run any more as I had to leave to set up for the presentation dinner that arvo.
I convinced myself to hang around for one more run with 2 goals, but the same out come. Beat ol' mate and drop it into the 37's, and to win this thing I had to do both.

AND............... I gotta say... I smoked it. The run felt very fast, dropped the back wheel off the track on the first turn but kept on it and let the AWD do its thing, rest of the run felt damn close to perfect
Laid down a 37.55.... Man that felt good.

I then had to madly pack up my stuff and high tail it back to the dinner to start setting up. I saw his next run which was a 38.52. The pressure was on for his last run which I never got to see, They tell me he was on target to beat me (yeah yeah show me the time slip) but ran out of talent at the top of the hill and spun off, recovering to do a 43.32

At the Presentation Dinner I accepted the trophy for "King of the Hill - Outright Fastest"............ SO STOKED!!

Gotta say a MASSIVE thank you to Ian for the AWD conversion. Without his help and expertise, the CV8 would still be 2WD and be languishing somewhere in the midpack with the other stocker CV8's. We had some blown CV8's that could get off the line quick, but this track is all about traction, With bucket loads of traction you can keep the momentum going and run faster times.

Now considering that this engine is basically stock, it has a gumpy tune that is set for the old configuration when the engine had extractors. When we did the conversion I was a tight arse and put the AWD exhaust manifolds off the Adventra on. Just wanted to get it all working and worry about the exhaust after that, just haven't got around to it yet. (having too much fun in the thing)
So for a stock car to dominate the cars running slicks and even the blown 2WD cars, just goes to show what an advantage the AWD is.

So once again Ian, thank you so much for putting this thing together. The car is just a level above anything that I ever thought it would be. I start getting all excited when I think about what it would be like with a supercharger and a set of slicks.

Here is the old girl in action.

oldholdensarebest

oldholdensarebest
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 CV8Z Monaro; 2005 Adventra LX8; 1955 FJ Holde
Great job, I bet there will be a few more conversions done now.................:beer chug:

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Great job, I bet there will be a few more conversions done now.................:beer chug:

Lets hope. I would love to see more of these creations on the road. Supercharged to the hilt and giving the Euro cars some what for.

Well done, mate. That must be a fun thing to drive.

Cheers. It sure is. Really have to do something about the stock convertor though. It is a bit of a slug off the line in stock form. In an attempt to get it off the line as quick as I could, I was sitting on the line in neutral and when it went green, selecting 1st, and as I felt it engage I would stomp the go pedal. Actually got a chirp on the last run, but man it must be hard on the trans and driveline.
I think the AllPaw Monaro has officially retired from Hillclimb duties. But I am sure I could be persuaded to have a go at some circuit racing. :)

Last edited: