Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom front bar. a RARITY these days.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
Custom Rear bar, first pics

i had a break in the weather tonight. went and picked up a white VZ sedan rear bar, bought it home and hacked it with the grinder. here are the first two mock up pics.

First positioning.

08102010245.jpg

and i have loosely screwed this side to the stock cover to judge the lines and wether or not it will flow with the rest of the kit. looks like i might have to find myself some VZ skirts coz apparently theyre a bit different to the VT ones iv got on there.

08102010246.jpg

what ill probably have to do with the rear bar is start in the middle and work towards the wheels otherwise it might end up off center....

opinions?

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
thanks :) im not sure on the back at this point. i want to make it like the pic but the overall shape of the stock bar might hinder the attatchment of the VZ lower section.

on another note, the wagon got some new shoes today. i claimed my 19z back off the misses car and put them on mine!!

13102010248.jpg

anyone wanna pass off a set of low springs? looks a little like a 4wd!

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
this pic is just a quick paint chop coz i dont have photoshop, so if someone feels bored or interested could you please pretty please chop this properly what im looking for is superlow in the front and i want the rim just tucking in the rear.

this is my attempt on paint.

131020102482.jpg

ChoCo94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pac L67
yeh i remember the xplode panel van i reckon that paint style could just work!

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
with your plastic welding, make sure you also weld if form the back. im not too sure how you've done the front, but where the 2 bars join, make a V with a grinder or stanley knife so it has a little more contact area when you weld them.

the reason you weld from the back is you can leave the beads without having to smooth them off like the fronts.

on the whole i like the look of the front bar, not 100% on the rear, but top marks for originality.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
with your plastic welding, make sure you also weld if form the back. im not too sure how you've done the front, but where the 2 bars join, make a V with a grinder or stanley knife so it has a little more contact area when you weld them.

all iv got to weld with is a soldering iron. i really need to get a heat gun but cant really afford to buy one. :( but i completely understand what you mean regarding the inside bead. all iv done so far is run the point of the iron into the join and just melt it together. and iv already seen once that its not really a strong join yet. my som decided to try and climb on it and straight off it came :( but iv since rejoined it the same way and im now looking for some way to reinforce the inside of the join before i continue my smoothing efforts. i have two thoughts on reo-ing it, first is a metal strap with small screws and glue( liquid nails?) or, getting another strip of plastic and welding around it with the iron again, and also poking the iron thru it so its welded thru the center as well as on the outer... ?? om kinda stuck at the moment.

on the join between the wheel arches and under the indicator i didnt cut it entirely accurately and so have some small gaps ranging from flush up to about 6mm... and my iron isnt quite hot enough to melt large amounts of filler strips...

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
why not line the inside with fibre glass? I can get resin pack A and B for a good rate, the matting is extra cheap at bunnings too, that would make it stronger on the inside. Just go hassle a few panel shops for some fibre glass resin.