Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cutting out

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6
I just bought a new Alpine V12 mono block amp...and after hooking it all up...when i crank it to around 26 (out of 30) it all cuts out..not sure if its the amp or the subs...but the 2 subs are 350RMS each, and the amp is 1000RMS..just wondering why it would be cutting out at high volume, any help?

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
Its probably the amp going into the protection mode. If it runs fine at normal volumes and only cuts out when its really cranked than i would say its the amp tripping out on protection. There should be a light on the amp showing when it hits protection.

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
Im no pro but have done a few installations (more of a hobbiest).
I would try upgrading the earth from the amp, also the earth from the battery. This helped with my old VP that used to cut out after long periods, it also solved head lights dimming. Are they DVC and are they wired in parallel? If they are it would be putting a 1ohm load on the Amp, this would draw allot of curent so earths may help?
Any other opinions anyone??

HotVS75

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Series 2 VS Calais
I would first of all look at your installation and how those woofers are wired up.

And second i would check your gains and make sure you didnt think it was a volume button and cranked it right up without thinking about tuning it correctly first :).

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
nah there are no buttons/guages and gains or anything on this amp...its just plug and play..i might try new earth wires first

HotVS75

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Series 2 VS Calais
Sorry man the amp does have gains, if its the one with the digital display then undo the cover and the control buttons are there.

There is no such thing as plug and play, every amp has at least a gain sensitivity button.

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh ok, my bad, so its underneath the white cover??
will this void warranty?

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
i highly doubt it will void your warranty, the gain knobs are meant for adjusting by the user

HotVS75

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Series 2 VS Calais
Nah just get an allen key if the amp doesnt come with it undo the two screws and u will find the buttons are behind the white panel.

I would still fix your earth though because i reckon you got it earthed to the parcel shelf or the boot hinge :).

Thats where most people earth there DIY amps.

underoneskin

Reaction score
Yeh, i have had similar problems with the alpine amps as well due to their high current draw a couple of tips i have found that cure the prob.
1. Check that both power and earth cables are of sufficient gauge
- 8AWG for 1 - 400 WRMS
- 4AWG for 400 - 600 WRMS
- 2AWG for 600 - 1000 WRMS
- 0AWG for 100 and upwards
2. Try grounding direct to car body shell or even mounts to chassis.
3. Even check that the remote turn on wire is connect properly and to the headunit or relay setup.