Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cutting springs for lowering.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I see absolutely nothing that can go wrong with this plan!

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
With this question

Can I question how the OP has even reached 49 years of age !!!!!?

On a more serious response = to the OP .
STOP BEING SO IMPATIENT. = what is wrong this saving and doing sxxt once , right!!!
forget this sxxt . Save = as you're saying for coil overs and spend the time researching coil overs ( as said/implied previously = some are sxxt ) and an engineer to pass!!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi. I'm wanting to cut the springs on my VE SS to lower it until I save for coilovers. Does anyone know how much I would have to cut off the springs to lower the car by 30mm?
Um. Just don’t.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Um. Just don’t.
Way back = early 80s , a mate = I'd pretty much , ( along with a few other mate's had gone = really you're an idot ) came over .
Not sure how our father approved/ guessing didn't know, my younger brother helped him .
GAS AXED springs ,( to lower ) on a HG 350 GTS Monaro ,while still in the car ,=on our nature strip = between fence and road = yeah I,m not going near that sxxt !!!!!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
its pretty easy... just get an oxy and put the flame at the part of the spring where u want the guard to sit and hold it there on the spring until the guard drops and touches the oxy flame then ur good to do the next corner... #itakenoresponsibilityforthisaction

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Hi. I'm wanting to cut the springs on my VE SS to lower it until I save for coilovers. Does anyone know how much I would have to cut off the springs to lower the car by 30mm?
spring rates shouldn"t vary between different sold height springs
so cutting 1/2 coil should safely give you close to 20mm drop and probably another 10mm after a while when it settles