Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cyclone Lusi , hitting NZ

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Tropical cyclone Lusi , is currently hitting the North Island of NZ , high winds and heavy rain are forecast , currently where I am it's just quite windy .
This is a sat image from the Met Service

Attachments

• SAT.jpg
    SAT.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 375

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Stay safe New Zealanders.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
TBH, ATM it seems like a storm in a tea cup. Seen much worse. Hell, it rained harder than this here last week (all be it it only lasted about 1/2 hour).

I can imagine it's not much fun around the coastal areas though.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
It's due to hit the North Island about kick off time for the Warriors (late afternoon). Here in the South island it's not due to hit till mid day sunday. Apparently they are saying it will be the biggest tropical storm to hit NZ since cyclone Bola in 1988.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It's due to hit the North Island about kick off time for the Warriors (late afternoon). Here in the South island it's not due to hit till mid day sunday. Apparently they are saying it will be the biggest tropical storm to hit NZ since cyclone Bola in 1988.

Yeah I heard that too , although Bola was long before I arrived in NZ , people are saying along the lines of cyclone Giselle, as well , when the Wahine, the Picton - Wellington Ferry struck the reef and sunk at the harbour entrance in Wellington in 1968 , saw the doco on that one . I guess they can't be to careful with the warnings , wouldn't want to be at sea , that's for sure .

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Yeah I heard that too , although Bola was long before I arrived in NZ , people are saying along the lines of cyclone Giselle, as well , when the Wahine, the Picton - Wellington Ferry struck the reef and sunk at the harbour entrance in Wellington in 1968 , saw the doco on that one . I guess they can't be to careful with the warnings , wouldn't want to be at sea , that's for sure .

Ever since they failed to warn the south about the big snow dump of about 5 years ago when we got about 2 foot of snow the weather people very quick to issue warnings.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Front is moving over Auckland now. That should hopefully be the worst of the rain. I think the winds will be worse later today looking at the pressure map, it really depends on how the storm tracks? If it moves out into the Tasman as predicted it won't be to bad but if it heads down more over NZ than it will be worse. As it is now, it's definitely further east than the early models suggested it would track.

I remember Bola, our garage/rear section was flooded. We had only moved into that house the previous year. The old man had to dig up the rear section and fix the drainage problems the summer after.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Lucky bastards. Why can't it hit Sydney instead.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
You just want a good, muddy bush bash...
Why can't it just hit the Hazelwood mine fire a few weeks ago. Just the rain..

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's really quiet weird, I can see blue sky but it's blowing a gale...

My BBQ cover is getting a battering.