Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Damn Cyclists

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
The problem I see is that a bike rider cant use their own discretion to decide whether to ride on the footpath or the road. When I used to ride a bike I would ride on the footpath if there wasnt anyone walking on it. And I would of got fined for this if the cops saw me. Fair enough if the footpath has a lot of people on it you shouldnt ride on the footpath but most of the time it would be feasable to ride on the footpath as most footpaths outside of major metropolitan areas see minimal foot traffic.

M

mrkotter

but most of the time it would be feasable to ride on the footpath as most footpaths outside of major metropolitan areas see minimal foot traffic.

I get your idea of getting bikes off the road. I think that a far better solution is to build proper cycleways. By proper I mean not shared with pedestrians. (shared use lanes are dangerous and you get too many pedestrians not yielding to bikes even when you call out)
Im fine with some sort of cyclist registration to help pay for it, and hopefully more people would cycle because of better facilities.

You're right though there are certain roads that bikes should not be on (thank you RTA), and most of the time and cyclists should avoid these roads by taking alternative routes on quieter streets.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I meant to point out in my previous post that the road rules as they apply to cyclists are not exactly the same as those for motorists. For many of the incidents described in the early posts, Australian road rule 111, sub rule 7 or rule 141, sub rule 2 apply. It would appear that the cyclist was not always completely in the wrong, just stupid. Rule 245 describes the rules specific to cyclists. Non-cycling motorists need to know them as well.

I would agree that most cyclists are motorists as well and therefore pay road registration, even if they don't make the same demands on road infrastructure or parking facilities. Or, one could argue, the healthcare system.

Re riding on footpaths. I do occasionally risk a fine where I consider the risk of getting hurt riding on the road to be too great, but take it very carefully crossing driveways and sidestreets. I saw a friend go over the bonnet of a car that drove out of a driveway, unsighted by hedges, while we were riding on the footpath as kids. He wasn't hurt but would have been had the car hit him rather than the other way around. That is why riding a bike on footpaths is potentially dangerous. See the bike safe link too.

http://www.bikesarefun.org/bicyclesafe.html

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
I get your idea of getting bikes off the road. I think that a far better solution is to build proper cycleways. By proper I mean not shared with pedestrians. (shared use lanes are dangerous and you get too many pedestrians not yielding to bikes even when you call out)
Im fine with some sort of cyclist registration to help pay for it, and hopefully more people would cycle because of better facilities.

i can't understand what your on about, till only a few years ago bikes were all i ever had and always rode on the footpath, never had any troubles at all ever with foot people they move a little to the side and so do i no problem even doin 30km, also it's not hard to give out a good ol hoy when your approachin so they defiently know your there, also never had brakes either.

i seriously think people use that just as an excuse, pedestrians on footpaths.

btw to the guy that gets a flat, run thicker tubes, double layer your tubes or double up your tires, i've had the same four tyres and two tubes on my bike for the last 6 years and that witheld glass and sharp rocks as well as bowl riding and dirt (lil more ruggerd then road) still no flat:thumbsup: or if you got a race bike get some solids on.

in a 60km zone during peak hour traffic nobody wants to sit behind some twit peddeling his way along at 25k's it will piss off even the most patient person;)

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
i can't understand what your on about, till only a few years ago bikes were all i ever had and always rode on the footpath, never had any troubles at all ever with foot people they move a little to the side and so do i no problem even doin 30km, also it's not hard to give out a good ol hoy when your approachin so they defiently know your there, also never had brakes either.

i seriously think people use that just as an excuse, pedestrians on footpaths.

Please, please read my previous post and the link as to why riding on the footpath is not safe for cyclists either.

btw to the guy that gets a flat, run thicker tubes, double layer your tubes or double up your tires, i've had the same four tyres and two tubes on my bike for the last 6 years and that witheld glass and sharp rocks as well as bowl riding and dirt (lil more ruggerd then road) still no flat:thumbsup: or if you got a race bike get some solids on.

Mountain bikes rock :).

in a 60km zone during peak hour traffic nobody wants to sit behind some twit peddeling his way along at 25k's it will piss off even the most patient person;)

Yeah, it's just rude IMO. I also have a personal rule that no car has to pass me twice, even if I am going faster (It does happen :) - mostly over speed bumps) let alone catching up to stopped traffic.

ssmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss thunder
**** em, they should all be shot!!

one killed an olderly man few weeks ago right across the road from me
because he thought red lights dont apply to him!

Q

QLD Calais

I beleive the road is for motorists, but lets face it. People are going to ride thier mechainical do-hickies(Bikes) on the roads. We just have to be MORE carful when we see these people, and if they do hit ur car, get out and see if there alright, if they are then kick em in the nuts and point at the scracth in ur paint! then poke em in the eyes and DRIVE!! (jokes) If there not, offer a ride to the hospital. Lets all just be modern people about this, fighting is so 20th century..